PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardplayer Cruise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardplayer Cruise

Poker on the high seas. My wife and I spent September 28th to October 5th with Cardplayer Cruises on Royal Carribean's Vision of the Sea.

I'll give you a little cruise commentary and a little poker commentary in this report.

We boarded the ship in Los Angeles around 2:00 PM for a 5:00 PM departure. We found our stateroom on Level 2. Level 1, I believe, is under the waterline. This trip was very reasonable at around $550 each not including airfare. OK so we were in steerage but at least there were no oars in our stateroom (how they call it a stateroom is beyond me)

At 3:30 we met with the poker group in one of the lounges. Both Linda Johnson and Jan Fisher were present. Free drinks and some poker ground rules were consumed and we were off to the mandatory lifeboat drill.

Dinner was followed by the live show in the main showroom and I went to bed without seeing a hand. Part of the master plan was to play as much poker as possible without alienating my better half.

Monday was a day at sea. I finally found the poker room. There were 11 tables and late that morning they were 80% full. I jumped into a 10/20 game. I have Wildbill to thank for that. He has been trying to convert this 4/8 player to 10/20 for a year. There were 8 other players and all of them were tough. I dropped about $300 and left after seeing no future in this game. I played 4/8 for the rest of the week.

The 4/8 games were ram jam and full of loose aggressive players who would ALWAYS call to the river. How juicy. I tightened up my standards a bit. Can any of you believe that is possible? The rest of the week found my strong hands falling to junk time and time again. My favorite hand being a pair of 3's with a flop of 663. 5 saw the flop, 4 saw the turn come an Ace ( I loved that card), 2 saw the river come a 6. OMG my beautiful boat lost to QQ.

I entered the $125 limit tournament although it is not my game. Nothing special and I finished somewhere in the middle as I always seem to do in limit.

No poker on Tuesday. We docked in Cabo San Lucas. We took a 2 hour catamaran cruise, discovered Pacifico beer, very good. Tuesday evening was more 4/8 and nothing held up.

Wednesday we docked in Mazatlan. We hired a local taxi driver and spent the day with him seeing every bit of this old historic town. He dropped us off at Senor Frogs which is where all the tourists make asshats (due credit given here to Wildbill for one of his more picturesque terms) out of themselves. Wednesday night was more 4/8 and nothing held up again.

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday along with my 1-10 rating of the food, entertainment, ship, shore excursions, poker, poker room, dealers, cardplayer staff etc. will be in Part 2.

Just to defend myself a tiny little bit, I dont advocate getting into tough 10-20 games over loose passive 4-8 games. However, Ram-Jam, no fold-em 4-8 will likely show similar BR swings.

I'd also like to thank you for busting a streak. While you were out galivanting on the high seas, I had to drive my own self to Canturbury, with the poor results deetailed in my own report. I obviously need to be chauffered to these type events. :lol:

I am sure looking forward to Part 2.

Bill

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.