PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Queens Poker Classic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Queens Poker Classic

I arrived Las Vegas early in the morning and went straight to the Four Queens to check out the poker action. What follows is a very brief synopsis of my week in Vegas. Nothing really spectacular happened for me, but there were some real high spots along the way, and it was a great learning experience and a fun vacation. I talked Poker School up every time I got the chance, so be on the lookout for some new players from among the elite. I was pleased to meet “Kong” of PSO, George Tate, who cheered me on the first night I arrived.

During my stay, I met Ron Rose, Scotty Nguyen, Layne Flack, Amir Vahedi, two Boatman brothers, Johnny Donaldson, Sam Grizzle, Harley Hall, and many, many other great players. They were all extremely nice and accommodating to a relative novice. I had some very enlightening conversations with a couple of them and got some nice photos. One of them with whom I’d played the day before, asked me to play a super satellite for him, and another asked me to partner with him for a tag-team twilight tournament. I did play the super satellite (didn’t win), but timing wasn’t right on the tag team event, so I didn’t get to play that one. I was really honored to be asked in each case, though.

I made the final table of the first Omaha hi-lo I played (94 players). I never got to any other final tables, but made 13th in the H.O.E. tourney (69 started), 26 of 84 in the next Omaha hi-lo tourney, and about 31 of 94 in the limit hold’em. I played several single table satellites throughout the time I was there. Some were $65 buy-ins and some were $120. I won two outright, chopped two heads up, and chopped three more three ways. These were quite lucrative for me and very enjoyable to play.

I also made time for a cash game at the Bellagio. I sat down in a $15-30 hold’em game and forty-five minutes later took two racks of red (plus) off the table and went back to the 4 Queens. Sweeeet!!

The night before I left, I had time to play just one more satellite, so I bought in for $120. Then I saw Carlos Mortensen on my immediate left and Warren Karp four seats to my right. Yikes!! I was freezing, so I ran up to my room to get my coat. When I got back about a minute and a half later, Carlos was waaaay short chipped, as were two other players, and Karp had a mountain of chips.

I was in the BB a few hands later and a short stacked player 4 seats to my left went all in, Karp called, and another short stack called. I looked down and saw two pretty red Queens…ALL IN!! Karp called me. When we turned our cards over, one player had A-10, the other had 10-10, and Karp had A-K. No one improved, and I almost tripled up. I just played pretty tight for a while, and finally it was down to three. We agreed to save the buyin for each of us and, in a few minutes, I knocked out the guy on my left. I had Karp out chipped by about 600 at that time, having been doubled up by him a few hands earlier when his ace didn’t improve over my jacks. We volleyed back and forth for a few hands, and I put him all in with a K-8o. He called with A-6 (at least I think it was a 6, it was small anyway). I hit a king and he didn’t improve, and the game was over. YEEHAA!!

I left Vegas the next morning with more money than I came with, and a smile on my face. It was truly a fabulous trip overall and I appreciate PSO for making it possible for me.

Rio Rita,

Great report. That's the way to use those bonus points.

Outstanding satillites and ring play.

An inspiration to us all :!:

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.