PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucky Chances Partner Bounty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky Chances Partner Bounty

Lucky Chances in Colma, CA, runs a major tournament series every three months. One of my favorite events is the $200 + 20 Partners Bounty Limit Holdem. Typically taking place on Monday starting at 6:30pm, the structure of the event is that you pick a partner and your team buys in for $220. Players alternate, swapping seats with their partner every round. There is a “celebrity” team at every table with a $200 bounty on their head which goes to the team who wins the pot that knocks the celebrity team out. Included in the buyin is a player’s buffet in Rene’s, Lucky Chances fine dining restaurant.

I have a group of poker buddies who play in a monthly $3/6 game at my house, which we call the Poker PIT. Fellow PITster Chuck Yates (aka P-Town on PSO) and I decide to team up again, and I recruit three more PIT teams to join in the fun. We also agree to do a $20 per person last longer bet amongst the four teams.

I head out from work a bit early and arrive at LC at around 3:30pm, planning to play a little before the event. Jackpot is a measly $72K (down from $127K and $124k, the latter which had just been hit two days before!) but I decide to play anyway ;-). I quickly check in with Matt Savage, tournament director extraordinaire, and determine that he has locked the 4 seats for the PITsters, but we need to pay up to secure the seats. Fortunately, one PITster has already arrived and paid, so I need to lay out $660 for the three remaining seats. Fortunately I brought enough cash! And here’s one benefit of organizing my little group: I get to pick three seat cards, and I selfishly take the low table 2, seat 6!

I get called for a $3/6 game at around 4pm, and play for about 30 minutes until I am called for a $6/12 seat. After an hour of $6/12, we decide to head to the buffet. I’m up $210 from the 90 minutes of play, leaving me in a positive state of mind. The buffet is excellent, we’re talking shrimp, smoked salmon, roast beef, a bunch of Asian standards, etc. The quality of the food is great and, while we’re eating, the remaining two PIT teams arrive and I collect the $20 per person last longer bet.

It’s about 10 minutes from showtime, so I head over to my table, stopping to put my name on the list for a $3/6 game. During this event, LC allows tourney players to alternate into a cash game while their partner is in the tournament. When it’s time to switch, both players switch seats. The lists are still short, but later in the evening, they get to be huge, 30-40 players waiting for each game. That’s because all the cash game seats get taken by tourney players and until people start busting out of the tourney they don’t relinquish their cash game seat.

I arrive at table 2, seat 6, only to see Tom McEvoy standing behind seat 5! Tom is teamed with Rick Chin, a student of his and a well known regular on the local tourney scene. Looks like Tom is going to take the first round, so I will be getting a chance to test my skills against the best, with position! I’m pretty pumped about this turn of events. Game time approaches, I take my seat and I see Lam Hoang throw his seat 7 card on the table. Lam is a dealer at LC and an excellent player, having won three $3150 seats into the final event and regularly winning or finishing high in major events in the Bay Area. Hmmm. My enthusiasm is dimmed a bit as I realize I am sandwiched between two of the best players in the tourney, but I do look forward to the challenge.

We start with 2000 chips, blinds at 25/25, limits at 25/50, 20 minute rounds. Button goes to McEvoy. First hand and it’s folded around to Tom who raises from the button. Lam hasn’t yet sat down in the BB, I call from the SB with QJs. Flop comes Q rag rag, I check, Tom bets, I check-raise and he folds. That’s a good start for me; I have defended my small blind against him which I hope will help me later, and I have won the first hand of the tourney against McEvoy!

I proceed to pick up some good hands, including another button/SB confrontation with McEvoy where I have JJ and win a nice pot when preflop he open raises again, I reraise, he reraises and I call. Flop comes 8 high, I bet he calls, Q on the turn, bet and call, blank on the river, bet and call. My JJ holds up.

I look to my left and see a fellow PITster at table 3 and I quickly jump over there and give him a little “local knowledge” on a few of the players at his table. The first round comes to an end with our chip count up to 2450, and I swap seats with Chuck. I give him a few insights into the players I know at the table and I find Chuck has secured a seat at a cash game right behind our table. Nice!

We keep our stack around 2500 through round 6, with the high water mark 3200 at the end of round 2, and sitting at 2550, 2725, 2625, and 2625 for rounds 3 through 6. A few blind steals and an occasional playable hand but nothing really notable. Wait, can’t forget to mention that in round 5 I took McEvoy out and won the bounty, can I?

It’s been a miserable tourney for Tom. Incredibly, the chip burner on the McEvoy/Chin team is McEvoy (Rick is well known for his maniacal play). Tom is blinded down to 200 and with the blinds at 75/150 he finally throws in his final 200. In the cutoff with 2400, I look down to see T5o, and given that the pot odds on this hand are practically infinite (win the hand, get $200) I toss in my 200, as does Lam on the button. The small blind surprisingly seems to mull the call over, finally calling, and the BB tosses in the 50. 5 callers, 1000 + $200 in the pot. I couldn’t ask for a better flop than the Q J 9 rainbow. What happens next is unexpected. It’s checked around to me, I check, button checks. Free card! Turn brings a 2, putting two spades on the board. Again, it’s checked all the way around! River brings that wonderful 8, but it also brings the spade flush home. Check, check, I check, Lam checks and I know my ten is good! I flip it over, knock McEvoy out, and take down the bounty! Yeah baby!

During level 7, limits 300/600, I manage to double thru Lam when it is folded to me on the button, I raise with AQo and Lam calls. Flop comes with an A, Lam checks, I bet, Lam calls. Turn is a blank, Lam checks, I bet, he check-raises and I call. River is another blank, he bets 600 and I toss in my last 300 wondering if this is it. He turns over A6o, and I look at the board expecting to see a damn 6 but NO, he was overplaying his ace and I double thru to about 5K.

Next big hand for me is in level 9, limits 600/1200. I start the round with 3000, move it back up to about 5K by winning a couple of small pots, and then a major suckout occurs. I’m in the BB with Q3s. One of the PITsters, Jim, has just been seated on my left. He limps, MP limps, SB limps and I take the flop for free. A Q 3 rainbow. I bet out on my two pair, Jim calls, MP raises, SB folds and it’s back on me. I call time, trying to figure out where I am in the hand. It wasn’t raised before the flop, so it’s unlikely MP has AA, KK, QQ, or AQ. He could be playing a suited A3, or he could have pocket 3’s, both limping hands. He could just have KQ, QJ, or is semi-bluffing a gutshot straight draw with KJ, KT, or JT. I look at my remaining stack and realize I am pretty much pot stuck, and so I go ahead and I reraise to try to get it heads up and maximize my chances of winning the hand. On my left, Jim pauses before reluctantly mucking his ATs. MP reraises (uh oh, looks like the set of 3s) and I throw in my last 300. He turns over his 33, I table my Q3, and the turn brings a blank but the river brings a Q and I suck out on him with queens over threes! That takes us up to 11,100 and I’m suddenly feeling a lot better about our chip position!

Near the end of round 12, blinds 1000/1500, I come over to see Chuck facing a decision in the BB. The cutoff has raised to 3000 all in, the button and SB fold and Chuck finds the powerful T4o. With our stack still around 10K, he decides to take the chance and tosses in the extra 1500. He doesn’t luck out and the cutoff’s A high wins the pot. After the round ends, he asks me if I would have made the call and I tell him definitely not, but that I don’t think it was a horrible call. My reasoning was that the cutoff still had 3 hands before the blinds hit him, and I would definitely expect that he had something higher than a ten in his hand when he decided to push it in, so I’d be behind and although it is a chance to take a player out, there are still around 25 players left so it’s still all about maintaining your stack in these marginal but tempting situations.

Round 13, blinds at 1000/2000, and we’ve just changed out the 500 chips. I’ve got 8K. Looking for a hand to double thru, I finally pick up A6o in the cutoff. I raise it to 4K, and the BB takes a long time to finally decide to call. Flop comes Q high, BB bets out. I’m committed to this pot, so I reraise all in, he calls, turns over AQo and we’re out 15th out of 117. Top 10 get paid, so we finish just out of the money.

We do win the PIT last longer bet, and so Chuck and I manage to eek out a profit, splitting the $200 bounty and the $160 last longer against our investment of $260. We also split $60 from the $3/6 game we were alternating in, so the final tally is that we each clear a cool $80 from the tourney and side game!

Anything to make a dollar. There isn't anything like it. Sounds like you guys had a blast to me and you even got a nice buffet to boot. I wish we had access to those kinds of events in Texas because that sounds like a really good time. I bet your suckout in the 9th got the ole heart beating a little bit. I'm curious what the other players reaction was. Anyway, congratulations and next time I'm sure you will be telling us about how big the trophy is.

chino

Comment

Working...
    X