PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegas for the 4th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegas for the 4th

Well, I treked out to Vegas this past long weekend, ostensibly to hang out with some buddies before the rest of them got married, but with a secondary goal of getting some more live tourney play.

Wednesday: land in Vegas. No games that day. Tired and crash.

Thursday: I get into a satellite for the evening NLHE game. $25 for the sat. Lets see, I get 300 TC. Blinds are 10-15 to start and levels increase every 10 minutes. Pretty fast playing structure w/ money getting shallow fast.

I bust two people almost immediately and go into the chip lead. I looked in good shape and had the table in control. However, luck is better than skill in this format. I played aggressive and a player made a questionable call -- called a large raise pre-flop w/ J-Q with a flop that came 7-8-9. I put him all in on the flop -- and he called, and made the gutshot. Owch, suddenly he was the chip leader and I was one of the short stacks. I eventually go out 3rd when I get all in w/ AQ vs his K10 and another's AK. 10 hit the flop and I'm out, but i feel goot about my play.

Friday: Jet-skiing all day. No pokah today, too beat up and sunburned.

Saturday: I wake up early and play the 10AM and 12PM tourneys at the Luxor. It's limit until the final table, where it turns no-limit. 30 players in both games.

First tourney, I finish 9th (pays out 7 places). I was unable to accumulate enough chips early on, so when it go to no-limit, I was already short stacked. I pushed in with pocket 9's and got called by pocket 10's. Doh.

Second tourney, I finish 2nd, taking $170 or so. I was the chip leader at one point, but lost some of it as I tried to run over some people. Still, I felt quite confident at that table and it showed.

In the evening, I played 4-8 at the Bellagio. Quickly won two racks against the table. I had the table read pretty well and felt I had it under control. You had some loose-aggressives at one end and some tight passives on the other. I was in the middle, which made it ideal for me to 3-4 bet it and isolate the LAP to my right. Worked wonders for most of the evening, but I think I started getting too tired at some point. Couldn't see the board properly and lost a good chunk of my winnings when I made nut-straight and couldn't see the pair on the board. (Even when the dealer pushed the chips over to the other player, I still couldn't see it.) I looked at my watch, 7 AM, maybe I have played too long... so I call it a night.

Sunday: I'm determined to play in the NLHE tourney that evening, even if I have to pay for it. I haven't played much live NLHE, so I wanted the experience.

First, I get into a satellite. Finish second in that one. Darn, still no cheap seat. I was still unused to playing live. Here at the PSO, it's easy to see how much is in the pot, or what the minimum raise is, but I made these "fishie" errors now and then, where I'd raise, forgetting that the limit had changed and my raise would be too low. A more embarassing moment came when I thought that a player had raised all-in (I had him covered) and I had already started putting chips out and then turned over my cards. Doh! Turns out he hadn't gone yet, and having seen my cards, decided to check-fold! Damn!

Eventually, I pay up and get into the main event (i had to leave a juicy O/8 game too). $120 buy-in w/ unlimited rebuys for the first hour.

My goodness.. I decided I didn't like rebuy games all that much! We had hands where 4 people would go all-in then reach back and buy more chips. I had to rebuy when my pocket tens were busted by pocket 9's. Eventually, the rebuy ended and I paid another $100 for the double-addon. I had $1800 after the rebuy period ended, which was maybe average.

First hand after the break, I get KK UTG -- woo woo! I decide I'm going to limp-reraise. There were some aggressive players in the game that I felt would probably bet this for me. So it went like this -- me, limp, call, call, fold, call, raise (yes!). It comes around to me and I push the whole stack in. I am content to take the pot now, but the player who raised calls me! Doh! He flips over AQs. The flop comes two to his suit, but no ace or queen. I give a quick jump when the river turns over a red card, but upon closer inspection it is the wrong red and I bust him out and take the fairly large pot down. Yay!

I get my stack chopped in half when we have a 4 way pot. I have AKs on the button. We have a few limpers to me, and I make it 1500 to go (i have about 6K). Suddenly, coming back around the table there is an all-in, a call, and another call. No way I can call here, so I let it go. Good thing, because I'm up against QQ, AA and K10 (!!). The aces hold up and the other two are on the rail. Whew, survived that.

A few orbits later, I'm getting short stacked, so I push in w/ 99. I get called by AA. Owch! But I get a lucky and spike a 9 on the flop. I double up.

Our table breaks and I move to a new table. I need ot start opening it up more as the limits get higher. At this point, I decide I have to take some chances, as the limits are relatively high compared to my stack. I steal a few times and make a few all-in bets that accumulate some chips.

However, I became short-stacked again on one hand -- I had A-3s on the button. It was folded to me and I raised to 1200 (had about 6000 left). The small blind calls (I had him covered) and the BB folds. The flop comes A-2-8. I bet another 1200, and I get raised all in. I study the board, and the opponent for a bit, and announce "I call". He groans as he turns over Q-2. But, the turn brings a Q, and he doubles up w/ his two pair. Damn!

A few hands later, the blinds have increased to 500-1000. I have about 2150 left. I wake up w/ A-10s. One of the bigger stacks, two to the right of me, opens w/ a raise to 2000. Player to his left folds, and it's to me. I think for a moment and decide to re-raise my last 150.

He turns over pocket nines, and my AT doesn't get there, and I'm out, about 15 or 16th place (pay was to 9 places).

The only thing I wonder is if ATs was good enough to go all in w/, or if I should have waited until I could have opened w/ a raise. In any event, I was happy with my play. I had a great time and can't wait to play at the Mirage again
Working...
X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.