PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I Punted the Orleans Open

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Punted the Orleans Open

First thing I noticed about Las Vegas: I get in about 11 PM Saturday night. Traffic on the Strip is crawling bumper-to-bumper. We’re rolling over ashes from spent emergency flares for about two blocks. Finally the last wrecked auto and ambulance full of casualties is cleared from the road, and people speed up, driving like bats out of hell, switching lanes without signaling, speeding through red lights, and generally careering about with their heads up their butts until about 6-7 minutes later when there is another huge accident involving several vehicles, whereupon traffic is slowed to a crawl again. This cycle apparently repeats itself ad infinitum.

Be that as it may, the Orleans Open Championship was scaled down considerably from last year. Last year the event had a $1000 buy-in, 79 entrants, a $79,000 prize pool, with a $21,840 first prize. This year it was a $500 buy-in, 54 entrants, a $27,000 prize pool and a $8000 first prize.

I was holding my own through most of the first three rounds, not getting much in the way of cards, but identifying a couple of aggressive bluffers and being able to resteal a couple of small pots from them. But after about three hours of play, I was too impatient to make something happen. The blinds were 50-100, and I was dealt pocket tens in early position. I raised $400. A guy either on the button, or in the cut-off, I forget, reraised the bet to $2000. Of course I should have folded, but I thought, to heck with it, let’s see what the flop brings, I can’t win this by being a mouse. The flop didn’t bring the ten I wanted, but it did being the next best thing: a jack and two rags. Of all the hands he would have re-raised with the only one the flop would have helped was JJ, which was unlikely.

I have him on 99, QQ, KK AA, or AK. His was an overbet, so I’m thinking AA is unlikely. So I ask myself what would I bet if the jack hit my hand? Anywhere from half the pot to the whole pot, so I bet $2000, about half the pot, thinking that if he has AK, he has to fold. He calls, which makes any of the pocket pairs more likely, and it makes JJ a scary possibility. So I’m ready to let it go, except the turn brings another jack, which makes him having JJ extremely unlikely, and now I’m in an even better position to sell him on my having a jack. I don’t push all-in, because someone with three jacks isn’t going to try to bully a pocket pair out of the pot, so I bet $4000-half the pot and about half my stack. He calls and I’m screwed, because now I don’t have enough chips to make him fold. The river brings a blank, I check, he bets more than I have, I fold, and he shows his pocket aces. I got way too fancy playing a hand I should have folded to the pre-flop re-raise and now I was about tied with the short stack with a little over 4000 chips.

I feel like I’ve lost the tournament already, but even after the first break I have over twenty times the big blind, the blinds being 100-200, so I try to settle down. I catch a set once, re-raise all-in with AK and push the initial raiser out of the pot, push all-in with QQ, etc. and build my stack back up to almost 12,000 chips.

But then the 25 chip ante kicks in when the blinds climb to 200-400. There are still 39 of the original players left, and the average stack is growing as mine is shrinking. I’m losing 825 chips per round of dealing, not catching enough, and my chips are down to about 10,000.

I’m one or two off the button and I look down to see AK. Two players limp in, making the pot 1650, so I raise to 1600. I probably should have raised it to 2000, or pushed all-in, but there you go. Everyone folds except the big blind, who calls. The flop comes K-Q-rag, so I bet $2000 and the big blind calls. the turn brings a blank, so I bet $4000, and the big blind pushes all-in. I have only a couple of thousand chips left, so I have to call, and he shows KQ. Poop.

Nice report Spenser! Looking foward to your next one when you make the big money.
    2 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

thanks for describing the thought process
      thats the key to improvement...isolating the traffic tilt
      the impatient attitude that led to your punting
      then activatng your anti traffic tilt software
      and finding a new result and hopefully improving with each
      eACH tourney holding a lesson or two....

i loved the traffic description by the way
      you can sell words that flow like that, sir

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.