PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bike and positive tilt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bike and positive tilt

I played at the Bicycle for the first time yesterday. They have a noon tournament with a $40 buy-in. And, for at least now, they are going with 4000 in chips as opposed to their regular 2000. They didn't adjust the levels though so you get a lot of play with blinds starting at 25-25.

I had a good time. It's been a while since I've played any poker, let alone live. I do enjoy live poker so much more than online. The feel of the chips and cards in my hands. The vibe of 9 other people sitting at a table with me trying to outplay each other.

The tourney started with 177 players and I made it to the last 50 or so. The players early on were quite loose and after several rounds of folding mediocre cards I opened up my game a little because of this. The loose players would either fold to a flop and turn bet or if they stuck around I knew that top pair, or two pair would usually be good enough to take the hand.

After about 2 hours I had turned my 4000 into about 12000. It was than that I let positive tilt lead me to a bad play. I was dealt an unsuited QJ in late position. There were several limpers so I limped in too. The flop came Q-10-2 rainbow and was checked around to me so I raised (I forget the exact amount but it was about 2/3rds of the pot. Everyone folded except the man to my right. He and I had been involved in a few hands and I had won them. (The most recent was when I had two pair on the flop and kept betting only to see the third flush card come on the river. He checked and I checked fearing the flush. He turned over top pair and my two pair took the pot.) The turn card was the 9 of hearts putting two hearts on the board and giving me an open ended straight draw to go with top pair. The man checked and I bet the pot. he thought for a moment and then called. The river was another heart but a rag that didn't make my straight. He checked again. I thought for a moment and realized I should probably just check and see what happens. Instead positive tilt kicked in and I started to think that I was on a roll and making good choices and if he had two pair I could bet big on the river and win a hand I was otherwise going to lose. So with that I bet 5000 putting him almost all-in and still leaving me with over 4000. He insta-called and showed me the qj of hearts, making his flush. If I had been smart I could have bet half that and learned the same info. If he thought I had the flush he would have folded. Instead I made the bet that only a hand that beats me would call. Oops.

I treaded water for about the next hour getting my stack up to about 7000 again but the blinds and antes(100/300-600) were starting to eat me up (and increasing on the next hand to 100/400-800) so I decided to play A10os from early position. I limped in hoping that someone would raise and then I would shove what i had left. Everyone folded to the big blind who had me more than covered. He looked at me and said all-in. I had planned on going all-in anyway so I figured against a BB that had me covered I had a good chance that he was just trying to force me out (side note, my table had broken a few hands before this so I didn't really have a read on this player) I called. He turned over AJ and it held up.

That's that. I'm hoping to get back there sometime soon.
Working...
X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.