PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Borgata WPT 10K Main Event

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borgata WPT 10K Main Event

Well, I'm out. I busted just before the dinner break. It wasn't pretty, but I will say that I never felt outclassed. I'll write up a formal trip report and post it here tomorrow.

Rob

Bummer Rob.
    Head Live Trainer
    Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
    Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

First of all, I’d like to thank PSO (members and staff) for giving me an opportunity of a lifetime. If it wasn’t for you guys and gals, it’s unlikely that I would ever play an event of this caliber, let alone be prepared for it. Thank you all!

I left home early to make the familiar 90 minute trip to A.C. It was smooth sailing all the way there. Since I had already registered the week before while I was there for the PSO tour stop, I had a few hours to relax. I spent it sleeping in my car. This actually calmed my nerves quite a bit and I felt completely relaxed when I awoke and made my way up to the poker room.

It appeared that most tables were littered with pros, but the only face I recognized at my table was Nick Schulman. Right from the start, my table had a weird dynamic. It was either a complete limpfest or ultra-aggressive. There were probably about 5-6 hands where there were 4 bets in preflop within the first 30 minutes. There were also a similar amount of hands where 6-8 players played a limped pot.

My first big action of the tournament came just before the first break. I’m in MP with 2 limpers so far. I pick up TT and limp also. The CO and button also limp, SB mucks (wasn’t at the table), and the BB checks. The flop comes T 6 5 (Rainbow). The BB fires out 300. The UTG limper re-raises to 1200 and the next limper folds. I think about it for a short period of time and decide to call (I feel strongly that the UTG has AA or KK. I’m not sure about the BB.). It’s folded back to the BB who also calls. The Turn is a J. The BB checks and the UTG fires a pot size bet of 4000. I repop it to 12k. The BB folds and the UTG moves all-in instantly. He had already taken a huge hit early and I would still have about have about 9k left if I called. This guy was pretty much a maniac and had already been involved in several big pots with less then optimal hands. I call with little debate and he flips up JJ. Puke. I thought this could be one of his holdings based on the way the hand had played out, but I also figured that there were far more possibilities for hands that I was miles ahead of. I remember reading somewhere about not fearing monsters in the closet.

Luckily I still had about 9500 left and the structure was very forgiving (40k TC, 75 minute levels, and a slow progression). I try not to get gun shy, but my cards weren’t agreeing with me. I play a few pots, miss mostly and am grinded down to about 6k. I pick up JJ when it’s folded to me in the highjack and I raise to 450. It’s folded to the BB who reraises to 1200. I flat it and the flop come K Q 7. He leads into me for 1500 and I muck. About half an hour later I pick up AA and double back up to 9k.

I do some more grinding and work my stack up to 13k. I’m in the BB and it’s folded to the button. He makes a 4X raise to 800. I pick up QQ and reraise to 2500. He moves all-in for 9k and I make the call. He has AKs and turns a K to cripple me down to 3800. 2 hands later I pick up AKh on the button and raise one limper to 1000. The SB and Bb fold and the limper flats my call. The flop comes Jh Th 4d. He bets out 1000 and I move all-in for the remainder of my stack. He calls and flips up JT. I don’t improve and I’m out.

I don’t have any regrets about the way that I played. I’m not sure that I would have played that first hand any differently (any thoughts on that hand would be greatly appreciated). Outside of that first 45 minutes of play (where the dynamic was very weird), I felt very comfortable and confident that I could play with most of the players in the tourney. Once again, I’d like to thank everyone at PSO for preparing me for an event of this caliber and giving me such a great opportunity.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Runngunnin

My first big action of the tournament came just before the first break. I’m in MP with 2 limpers so far. I pick up TT and limp also. The CO and button also limp, SB mucks (wasn’t at the table), and the BB checks. The flop comes T 6 5 (Rainbow). The BB fires out 300. The UTG limper re-raises to 1200 and the next limper folds. I think about it for a short period of time and decide to call (I feel strongly that the UTG has AA or KK. I’m not sure about the BB.). It’s folded back to the BB who also calls. The Turn is a J. The BB checks and the UTG fires a pot size bet of 4000. Rob
        I hate the situation where you flop a top set with no real good draws showing (I guess BB could have 78 here) and someone bets out first! You are likely to be called unless you bet really big and they might have that straight draw showing.

To combat this, I often bet right away after the flop gives me top set. In your case a re-raise. It puts a lot of pressure on the JJ to decide to stay or re-raise. Plus you get infomation on his possible holdings. If he re-raises you know to go all in right away (assuming he does not see you as a maniac or a two outer chaser.) If he calls, you are in danger.

So I don't know if I'm leaving too much possible upside here, but I would have re-raised him after his post flop bet probably by 2/3 of the pot size and hope he either folds or draws and misses. In this case with the J on the turn, you'd have lost anyway if he just calls you, tough luck on that.

Jeff

Comment

I think you played it all well Rob. With the nuts on a dry flop, it's about extracting value rather than trying to get your opponent to fold. With a bet and raise in front of you, putting in the 3rd raise kind of turns your hand face up and will help them to make good decisions against you. The JJ might even fold, but with only 2 outs you don't want him to fold, you want him to put more money in the pot. By flatting you're leaving doubt about your hand, it might be AT, T9, 78, 43, etc. etc., and the blind may raise again if he thinks he's got the best hand. If the blind just calls, you can expect the UTG to fire another big barrel on the turn and can pop him then if you so choose. If your read is right that UTG limped in with AA/KK getting cute preflop, it's going to be very hard for him to get away the bigger the pot grows, and he's showing a willingness to grow it, but with 40K stacks the flop action is still "small". His pot sized turn bet of 4K is tying him further to it. You raised to 12K and he's having a hard time getting away from AA here (most average players would anyway). You could even flat again and give him one more chance to fire a "value bet" with a premium pair, raising on the river. If he checks the river, you can use your postition to bet fore value and extract another 8-10K from AA (which will be near impossible for him to not pay off given a passive line from you the whole hand).

Dave
          Head Live Trainer
          Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
          Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

I see the problem here Rob

" JUST BEFORE DINNER BREAK "

Better luck next time !!!

Im sure you will be there again (just eat first)

Comment

but I will say that I never felt outclassed
              Ummm no, they were outclassed!

Next time quit thinking about that steak! :P

Better luck next time!

Shannon

Comment

Great job Rob!You played your best,you will get them next time!I am sure you will be back.
                Thanks for the trip report was great.
                Gail

Comment

Working...
                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.