PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutor Turtle cashes in two WPT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutor Turtle cashes in two WPT

Tutor Turtle cashes in two events of WPT – World Poker Challenge!

On Tuesday last week (3-11-08 ) I decided to go play in the WPT World Poker Challenge in Reno at the Grand Sierra resort. I shot Allan an message to see if he wanted to go (Tutor Turtle.) Allan turned me onto PSO, we knew each other from the local sports bar as rival fans (Allan – Cleveland, Me – Steelers.) Thankfully he decided to go.

We played in two preliminary events, which surprisingly played very differently.

The first night was event #17. $200+30 buy in NLHE. There where 182 entrants and Allan cashed in at 18.
    http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result20613.htm

Saturday night was event #19, same buy and structure. There were 214 entrants and Allan cashed in at 24.
    http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result20615.htm

Congratulation to Allan!

Here are some specific observations from my perspective. The structure was surprisingly slower than I thought it would be. 2500 starting chips. 30 minute levels, starting at 25/50, antes kicked in at level 4, 25/150/300. I thought it would be much more aggressive and not allow much time for some real play. It was fairly reasonable.

The level of competition on Friday was extremely surprising. Sitting to my left for 3 hours was Aaron Cantor. He busted out 4th (for 2 mil) at the 2005 WSOP Main Event final table with Joe Hachem.

http://www.pokerpages.com/players/pr...ron-kanter.htm
    Note that Aaron had cashed 4th in the similar event the weekend before.

Someone said that there were at least 4 WSOP bracelet winners playing, I’m pretty sure I saw two bracelets. No way did I think I was in for this!!!

Since this was my first legitimate tournament, my game plan was to maximize my live play time for experience and hope for the best. I planned on playing EXTREMELY tight and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!) had almost no cards to play with. My best holding all night was AQo. I didn’t have any tough decisions to make, only saw a few flops. Into the 6-7 levels I was SS and took blinds on a couple all-ins but busted out on a coin flip in level 7. I went out 30th in 182. Extremely extremely happy with those results given what I had. Yeah, maybe I could have tried a play or two, but I’d have probably busted out earlier, I’m just wasn’t feeling like making plays with 93o (which was easily my average hand, I had it specifically a half dozen times at least.)

On the second night, it was a totally different tournament despite the same structure. 214 players, and obviously many more “weekend warriors” just in it as a crapshoot. The field thinned MUCH faster right off the bat. Specifically I got the draw of the tournament by having the “ultimate calling station” being seated to my left. Read about that hand in this forum.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/php...=239901#239901

I had better cards, still pretty tight. I went out about 42-43 (the computer went down) and was still pretty happy although disappointed with my final hand decision.

I won my first sit’n go for $300 ($50 buyin) but blew it on other sit’n gos. Held my own in 8 or so hours of $4/8 limit.

All in all, it was a great experience. I know I have a lot more work to do to become a legitimate player (like Allan.)

Doug aka PenGuiner

Way to go!

Way to go for both of you! I think you did a fantastic job by lasting that long while being card dead

Tricia

Comment

I love to hear it when a fellow PSO cashes in such events like the WPT. It is just a testament that hard work, studying and practice (and more studying and practice) pays off.

Congrats on the cashes and experience.

I love to hear the success stories here at PSO ! Motivates me to improve my game.

Have a great day all

Steve D
      (nvflag)

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.