PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Poker update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Poker update

Today our heroes play their favorite game -- NLHE.

The noon event was a $220 buy in with no rebuys. In the morning, we all tried our hand at several satellites -- hylndr and I both missed, but Big Jerry got half of his buy-in with a second place finish in a sat.

When the event began, all three of us probably played a little too tight for the structure, which allowed us only $1500 to start, with blinds of $25/25 (rising every 30 mins). 108 players started. We all made it to the first break, but between the third and fourth hour we all withered away. I busted first in 52nd place, hylndr was next in about 48th, and then Big Jerry at about 42nd.

We then signed up for the "second-chance" event at 7p.m. Again, NLHE, same structure, but this time a $120 buy-in and 20 minute blind rounds. Ninety people began.

Big Jerry saw no cards and busted early. Hylndr played very tough survival poker to make it to about 30th place, and he then came to sweat me.

WARNING: BAD BEAT STORY FOLLOWS.

When hylndr busted out (a bad beat itself -- losing with KQ against QJ with both hands all-in preflop), I was in comfortable chip position, with approximately 3,000 Tchips, which was approx. the average stack size. The blinds were at 150/300 with a $25 ante. I built my stack through a couple of rounds to about $4200, when I then played a hand that made me feel more like a poker player than ever before in my life. The blinds were then $200/400 with a $50 ante. Under the gun is a player who has a big stack (outstacking me by about $2000), who has recently moved to my table and had been at hylndr's table earlier. I don't yet have a read on his play. He opens the betting by making it $2400 to go. I look down at JJ in middle position.

I called time, which I rarely do. I tried to analyze the play and put him on a hand. At this point, the money was getting pretty shallow -- the blinds were quite high in relation to the average stack size. As a result, the standard preflop raise of 3-4 times the BB was no longer standard because such a large raise would commit too big a portion of almost everyone's stacks. Instead, folks were merely raising from 1-2 times the big blind (that is, making it $800-$1200 to go). UTG was clearly making a bigger-than-typical raise.

I didn't believe he would make such a big raise without some kind of made hand. I put him on a pocket pair that needed protection. I didn't believe he wanted to see a flop. With QQ through AA, I believe he would have made only a sufficient raise to limit the field, without trying to wipe the field out of existence. Since I had JJ, I was pretty sure he did not. I decided his most likely hand was 10-10.

I re-raised him all-in and counted off my chips. The re-raise was 1800, which would take his stack WAY down from where it was. He thought about it momentarily and then called. He flipped over 10-10 and I can hardly describe how good that made me feel about my read and my play. He muttered something about me being "lucky," as we waited for the board.

The flop and the turn brought him no help, and he had only the two 10s as river outs. The magic card came on the river (second time this trip I was rivered in a huge hand with a 10). I immediately screamed something like "poop!" and slammed my fists on the table. I then immediately apologized to players and dealer, told UTG "nice hand" and tromped off to steam. The pot was more than 9,000, and only 104,000 tourney chips were in play. I told hylndr and Big Jerry that, had I won the pot, I could have gone to dinner and come back an hour later to find my stack sitting at the final table.

A couple of hours later I did wander back to the final table, only to find UTG in second chip position with 5 remaining players, who were discussing whether and how to chop up the $5,000 in the prize pool for the top five spots.

But that's poker. In any event, looking back on the play and the incredible feeling of knowing I had read the hand correctly and made the perfect bet, I really appreciate what I've learned here at PSO and feel I'm making big strides as a player. I look forward to having many more opportunities to make similar decisions. And next time, hopefully the underpair won't hit a set. 8)

sbjensen,

Great trip report.

Good play! :wink:

As you say, a good feeling when all your work helps you make the correct play. 8)

Unfortunately, making all the right moves does not guarantee the winning outcome. Another lesson in progress. :roll:

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.