PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my trip to Vegas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my trip to Vegas

My step-daughter was heading to Vegas on a business trip and asked me to be her tour guide. After deep thought (for a half a second), I decided to make yet one more sacrifice (sigh, the sacrifices I've made for my step-kids) (LOL) to go on the trip ...... a week in Las Vegas - during the WSOP, no less!

I headed out a few days early to play in the WSOP NLHE $1500 event that started on the 21st. There were around 2500 entries. I was doing ok to start, won a few pots, was up around $1,000 at the first break, after two hours of play.

It's been my experience that tournament play generally comes down to a few key hands that turn the tide in one direction or the other. In this case, my day was directed by the hand I DIDN'T play.....

Midway through Round 3, I'm happy to find pocket Q's, the best hand I've seen today..... In early position, I raise 3X the BB. Seat 6 pushes all in, about $1,400, which I would have called. But then seat 10 pushes all in and he has me out-chipped. Well, it wasn't real hard to figure out that one of them had AA or KK so I mucked my cards. Seat 6 turned over his pocket 10's and seat 10 turns over his pocket A's. I feel SO smart! While basking in my brilliance, the flop comes and there's a Queen....... then the river brought another Queen - I would have had QUADS! Argh. Well, I know I did the right thing - I just hate when it turns out wrong! Anyway, I spent the rest of the day praying for cards and getting absolutely nothing. After a couple more hours of unremarkable poker, I was out early in Round 5. If I had played those Q's I would have had enough chips to maneuver with and could have lasted through the dry run of cards. Sigh.

The next day, I decided to play the DeepStack event at the Venetian. 25 minutes into the tourney, 25/50 blinds, I find myself with pocket A's. There were already two limpers in the pot so I made it $300 to go. Seat 8 raises to $800. Seat 9 calls, as does Seat 10!!! Yikes! Well, I don't want to play against three other people so I raise another $3000. Seat 8 calls. Seat 9 folds. Seat 10 moves all-in. Well, for a flash of a second, I thought 'Gail, you know you can go broke with pocket A's and you still have plenty of chips!"..... but how can I toss pocket Aces??? So, I push all my chips in the pot and Seat 8 does as well. Seat 8 had A's and seat 10 had K's..... Seat 8 and I knew we were in jeopardy..... seat 10 jumps out of his chair when the flop brings him a King ..... while he is busy celebrating, the turn and river cards come - runner runner diamonds to give the other pair of A's a flush. So, my day at the Venetian was a short one....

The poker part of my trip was defined by one hand I didn't play that I wish I had..... and by a hand I played that I wish I hadn't!

The good news is that I hit a $2,500 slot jackpot and $1,000 on a video poker game that more than made up for my poker entry fees.

My step-daughter arrived the next day and I wasn't able to play any more tournaments because I was busy with her. We had a great time, saw some shows, did some shopping and exercised the slot machines. In the end, she came out even and I was ahead, plus we had a lot of laughs.

My flight home was delayed on the ground for three hours, then another hour on the tarmac, then we were in a holding pattern for an hour while we waited for weather to improve, then we had to stop at another airport to re-fuel..... we finally got to JFK at 2:30am where we had to wait an hour and a half for our suitcases.......

I think I'll stick closer to home for my next tournments.....wonder what is coming up in Atlantic City......

Thanks for sharing great report!
    Sounds like a great trip,and you had fun :wink:

Comment

Gail, you should of posted you were going. JayW played that tourney also and Aaron was keeping & eye on all PSO players if you let him know.

I played the 5pm Omaha tourney the same day. Joe & I also played the Venetian tournament with no luck.

Just think you could of bought us lunch!
      2 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Gail,

Great report.

I know how you feel: having to suffer the for helping out the step-children. The things we have to do to help family. :lol: :lol:

WOW, the airline flight from he....... Seems like it never ends.

Comment

re: PSOer's at WSOP

Leon, I did tell Hazy I was going to be there and he said he would be in the Media area but I never found him (there are a lot of people hanging around, as you know).

I'll buy you lunch next time

Cheers, 'rina

Comment

Nice reading.. Boy I like these reports... I've not been to vegas in a while and these posts - well - make me want to go more and more...

Comment

Working...
            X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.