PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reno - World Poker Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reno - World Poker Challenge

I live about 3 hours by car from Reno, NV and for the past several years have gone a few times a year - 3-5 days each time - to play in various tournament series at the ex Reno Hilton (now the Grand Sierra Resort) or at the Peppermill.

This year, thanks to PSO and Sponsorship Points, I got to play in two $500+$50 NLH events at the World Poker Challenge- and was fortunate enough to make the final table in one of them!

The GSR events are well run, have competent AND friendly dealers, are reasonably priced - typically $200 to $500 for most daily events - with evening 2nd chance events @ $200. This year's final was a $5,000 event with a cash prize plus a seat in the WPT Championship at Bellagio. And the side games are plentiful; from 4-8 Hold'em & Omaha/8 to 20-40 Lim H and several NL games. I played mostly in a fairly loose 10-20 half-kill Omaha/8 game. YES - I'm an Omaholic

Drove up Wednesday morning, March 14, to play in the 11 am Omaha/8 tourney. Skipped the Limit tourney Thursday to play side, but did try the 2nd Chance Thursday evening. Not much success to this point in the events although I managed to finish 30 or better in both. (with 125-160 fields). Didn't embarrass myself, at least.

Friday, my first Sponsorship Points event - thank you again Tina & PSO - started at 11:00 am with 149 entries. Remember this number! Started w. T3000 and doubled up on the second hand! Blinds at 25-50, UTG made it 150 to go. Deep stacked with an Ac 7c I took the flop and 3 of us saw it come off 7s 7h 5c!! PERFECT flop for me. Now UTG bets T1200 into a T475 pot. Interestingly, I had played for several hours with this player the evening before - and KNEW he had AA or KK! Remote possibility of QQ. It was his betting pattern.

I decided to take this T1675 down right now - and went all in! Lots of huffing & puffing by UTG, moans, etc. He even said at one point, "what do you have - Ad 7d"? He ultimately called and showed KK - everyone else at the table knew I had trips! He got no help. I've now got T6675 @ 11:03 am.

Blind Bat 07 IS a tight player - and 5 1/2 hours later @ 4:30 pm I've still only got about T7000. Played very few hands. Laid down all Ace-rags, most small pairs, etc. A few steals, not a lot of playing hands. Just leather-azzed tight!

Then with Ah 5h in late position I flop Qh Jh 7h - and doubled up with the Nut flush! Several more decent hands and I had T35,000 (ave = T24,800) when we made 18 players about 5:15.

Now an interesting thing happened. Several of us had remarked a little earlier that if we'd had one more entry (150) they would have paid 18 places instead of 9. So a player - Steve - stands up and says "let's make a deal. Let's pay places 10-18 $550, their entry fee, so the long day is not a total loss." And 18 players agree!! That's amazing!

Now the play really slows to a crawl - pre-flop raise & all fold hand after hand - as everyone tries to make the final 9 where the real $$ begins. Dinner break - and we make the final 10 @ 7:45 pm. Then another 30 minutes of raise & all fold to get to 9!

Still mostly raise & all fold. #9 goes. I get JJ & raise go all in in the middle. AQ off-suit calls - and flops AA9. That's my tournament @ 8:45 in 8th place! Got a final table ball cap and a handful of real $$ chips.

Another $500 + $50 Saturday courtesy of Sponsorship Points. 177 start. I can only finish about 42.

A couple of Sit N Go finishes and some O/8 wins - and more poker in 4 days then anyone should play - made for a very enjoyable trip.

I'm realy looking forward to the Pot Of Gold in Reno in mid-May. Come play with us and say 'hi."

Congrats!!!sounds like a fun trip, thanks for the update

Comment

You "earned" those points and used them very well.

PSO salutes your achievements!

Comment

Great report

Yeah, there is hope. Another OMAHAOLIC strikes again, non-omaha event. Omaha skills work well in the commoner's game: Holdem.

Comment

Working...
        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.