PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thief 21's First Live Tourney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief 21's First Live Tourney

I have just returned from Las Vegas where I played in my first ever NLHE tourney at The Mirage on Tuesday night at 7pm.

Jan 28, 2003

This day got off to a wonderful start when the concierge at Paris called me confirming my Tee Time at Dragon Ridge. Which is where Tiger Woods holds his Tiger Jam tourney every year and was also the host to this years Wendy's three tour challenge. To sum up the course it was amazing. On to the Poker.

I arrived at the Mirage at 6pm went straight to the Poker Room to register for the tournament, My Father and business partner also joined me and signed up as well. My partner had never played Hold Em in his life but was there to have fun & fun he had lasting about 10 mins after the 1st break.

The Tournament is structured like this $60 Buy-in with unlimited re-buys for $40 for the first hour if your chips are lower then the starting amount of $500. So I walked up to the registration table paid my $60 and picked my seat. I received Table 1 seat 4. I started to get butterflys in my stomach, so decided to go over to get a Pizza at California Pizza. After eating I played a little Black Jack as I was so excited I couldn't stand still.

I walked back in the poker room with a ton of questions in my mind as I took my seat at 6:50 pm. However I decided not to ask any questions as I didn't want the players at the table to know I had never played a live tournament before. So I figured I'd wing it and see what happens.

7pm and its draw for the button time a young guy a couple of years younger then me won the button with a Jack. He was directly to my right putting me in the SB for the first hand. My first two cards in live play were 7s 3h which were lightly tossed back to the dealer. I decided not to play any hand for the first round so I could concentrate on reading some of the players. Here is what I read about the competition on Table 1. Seat 1 Older 60-65 asian player never raises always calls unraised pots. Seat 2 30 something very aggressive. Seat three young guy around 22 hat on backwards acts
    like a know it all thinks he's a big time player, we'll see. Seat 4 Me the rookie, Seat 5 calls too many raises with weak hands and folds to all bets on flop unless he makes a pair. Seat 6 looks like a retired truck driver seems to be a good player all in or folds. Seat 7all in on flush draws twice in first 10 mins lost both. Seat 8re-raises every raise any time he's raised he verbally challenges the raiser, everyone knows his name, and when his KK is called by KTo he shows a picture of himself accepting some poker trophy, his body builder Girlfriend is playing on the table behind us which he paid for, seems to be a player at least he portrays that image. Seat 9 Older man missing fingers on one hand plays like a rock. Seat 10 can't get a read on him yet. One thing I notice that I feel is gonna work against me they all know each other and are locals. And everyone is intentionally losing hands in order to re-buy right away. I notice this against seat 8 when he makes a weak raise in EP i come over the top for the pot and he folds explaing he just wanted to get under $500 to re-buy. The whole table has re-bought with in 20 mins execpt for seat 3 who benifited from Mr flush draw. I re- buy. Now i'm in for $100 and have about $950 in chips. My first score comes about 45 mins into the tourney when im dealt 66 on the button with 5 callers ahead of me in for $30 each so I go ahead and limp in. Flop comes Kh Qs 6d. Seat 7 makes it $100 to go Seat 8 raise $400 to $500 and has about $800 left Seat 2 calls and is all in. I re raise and am all in for $950. Seat 8 calls and turns over KJ Seat 2 has KQ no help comes and I win my first pot Seat 8 gives my a stare for a few seconds while the dealer is marking his 2nd re-buy, I think I totally suprised him with his invinsable attitude. The table is now asking me questions trying to get a feel on me now they actually notice me. The very next hand im dealt AJs seat two and 3 have both called the $30 BB I call. Flop is Jh 6s 4d Seat 2 makes it $200 to go its just him and I know and I count his chips and raise $300 which he calls and is all in. He turns over KK I get no help and have now lost my first hand. The next hand I get JJ seat 8 has made a weak raise of $30 which is very uncharacteristic of him so I re-raise $30 to see what type of move he might pull later on. He raises $50 which I then put him on a trap or steal and re raise $450 which would put him all In He stares at me with a "who do you think you are look" Laughs & turns over T3o saying he wants to get under $500 to re-buy and mucks his exposed cards and re-buys. Its now break time and everyone does a $40 Add on getting $500 more in chips, I do the same and my stack at the break is $2300 which is 2nd best at my table and seems OK from what I see of the other tables. I am very happy with my play in the first hour except for the AJ but all i'm thinking now is Shane telling me that after the break play well tighten up since theres no more re-buys, this makes me happy as I found the play a little wild. I go have a smoke(you can't smoke in the poker room) and they announce that theres 90 players and around $135,000 in TC. Atfer the break blinds go up and I'm card dead 4 orbits and I haven't played a hand but Shane was right the play has tightened up and a pot raise seems the norm with a few exceptions. By the time Blinds are at 75/150 I still have not played a hand but have won a few steals in late position with pot raises no one is calling my raises. Finally seat 6 re raises my pot raise all in for about $500 extra I have 77 and think hard he looks confident and is getting impatient with me taking my time and says "kid you gonna call or fold" I say you want to double up here don't you? I fold my 77 face up and say Im not gonna give you the pleasure. He is mad as heck that I layed down. Couple hands later he again re-raises my Pot raise all in for about $500 I make my first bad mistake and call him with 66 he has TT, I get no help and he doubles up. I had him covered 5-1 and figured I needed to show i'm not gonna get intimidated. Well the image thing was worthless as I as the only tourist at the table was moved right after that hand. My stack is around $1800 and am moved into the BB I pay both blinds and the table is busted and am moved right into the BB again at table 5. There are now 5 tables left in the tourney my partner is out, my Dad out and my new table is tough. Every hand is an automatic pot raise from someone, I am very impressed at the play as in the first 17 hands there is no flop. However I am getting worried as I can't get a read on the players since I don't ever see their hands.I make 3 steals myself keeping my stack in mind. The third break comes and they announce the prizes. $4500 + for first is all I remember. A few guys from my table go and people are dropping like flys with blinds at 250/500. In order to even consider entering a hand at this point the raise needs to be a minimum of $1250 there still has not been one limp yet. I play very tight and my table is busted. there are now 3 tables remaining, something I found interesting at this point was: Table one my first table including my self still has 8 players remaining. My new table has a few interesting members and breaks down like this: Seat 1 man in 70's tight player but calls raises not re-raises and can be bet out on the flop. Seat 2 nice mid 50's man good player. Seat 3 Me Seat 4 empty seat 5 rock Seat 6 big talker Seat 7 pony tail guy loose player getting Short stacked, Seat 7 geeky looking guy but seems good. Seat 8 Chip leader for the tourney said on break he's gonna coast. Seat 9 the only other tourist left takes alot of risks, Seat 10 old local. Dealer dumb lady everyone is complaining about. I play tight for a while trying to establish an image but am blinded down to about $1400 when I decide its time to make some steals with blinds at $300/600 i need to. I keep in mind Noodles ratio of more the2/3 stack go all in(thanks John this helped alot all night) and get a couple of steals. I'm dealt 99 in LP and have around 2400 in chips when 2 EP limp in to my suprise. I see this as an opportunity to collect some weak chips and raise all in all fold to seat 9 who thinks long and wants to take another risk but has just lost alot of chips the hand before he mucks then looks at me and asks what I had. I'm confused now do I answer, should I be honest?, should i ignore him? this was something I had not expected and was visably nervous about He said was I behind with A7s I said of course and he kept prying me finally a told them 99 which I think was a big mistake to do as you will maybe agree when reading later here. Break time and I have $4600 in chips with around 26 players left, which I do some quick math in my head and figure its just below Avg I feel great about my play so far and am happy. Ihave a smoke when seat 6 From my first table comes up to me to bum a canadian somke. He's just been busted and I joke that the double up I gave him didn't help he says you had to call, it was fine forget about the pots yu lose they mean nothing put them behind you. He goes on to tell me he finished 7th in WSOP main event "some years ago" amd his name is Joe. Nice guy, he wishes me well says he hopes I win this thing and if I do maybe I can "help him out" he's a little tight lately. I say to my self if I win I will he's a god guy.

Back from break Blinds 500/1000 24 left( I think from my quick count) I'm BB with ATs all fold to SB he calls me I think hmmmm, but I Check flop is T J 7 he checks I'm still thinking hmmmm, I check, Turn is rag, river is rag, he checks The old Thief would have bet here, but once again Noodles pops into my head Something he's twice pointed out to me if the river is checked to me CHECK it Down only call I'll get is from a better hand. So I check SB turns over KK and wind my 1k blind. Thank You John. Wow the quite nice seat # 2 was slow playing the KK the wole way I didn't take the bait even with a pair and top kicker I am so happy about this. I make a stael on 66 and then get AKs on the button BB is all in on the blind seat one limps I raise all in its more then 2/3 to pot raise and the standard is always a pot raise on this table and very rarely anyone limps Seat one to my suprise calls he has me covered and im now worried. BB turns over J5o seat 1 Ako and flop comes JJ2 river is a 5 and SB survives. He proceeds to double up 4 str8 hands and is a major player now. I make 2 steals one with JTs and one with TT. When right after the TT I get TT again im in LP, The geeky guy in seat 7 who BTW for some reason is the only guy I'm scared of for some reason makes it $1500 to go he is UTG and this makes me curious as he always raises pot, I put him on AK so now i'm curious as to if i can get him to lay it down, I have about $4800 in chips and he has $4600 including the $1800 he's put in I say to myself if he has AK he can't call for all his chips also seat 9 has called so there is about $4100 in the pot. My decision comes because seat 9 is in the pot with only a call not a re-raise I know right now with TT is either all in or fold. I say re-raise I'm all in and push my my $4800 in it's now to Seat 7 who ponders for about 4mins which seems like an eternity for me Im begging FOLD, FOLD..., he is staring at me and says I know you have a PP I don't know how big though as you have raised all in not to get callers with mid PP's. He says I hope I catch and calls. Seat 9 Folds. He turns over Ah Ks and I turn over TT he is scared and says nice hand i had a bad feeling. Flop comes out Ad Js Kc and my heart sinks I know i'm a huge dog now, but I feel good that the others at the table are saying Queen, Ten they all want me to win, this makes me happy. Turn is As and I'm now drawing dead and feel like crap. I had him covered by $200 and am so dejected at my play i wish I didn't even have the chips. I go all in UTG with JTs hoping to catch some of the BB & SB money if I get lucky. Thanks Trumpin Joe & Hazy. But its not meant to be and Im out 24th place of 90 and 4 1/2 hours of a great experience. If my tens hold up im in great shape but if's are for dreamers. I took a long slow walk back to the Paris and cheered myself up by thinking overall I played great I made only one bad call 66vs TT early on vs Joe, and one bad bet AJ vs KK. And when I went all in I was somewhat ahead(I think) but damm That hand is still haunting me maybe I should have waited for a better spot against someone else. I keep thinking if I'm him I fold that hand no matter what but I'm learning this game and he probably made the right call. I can't wait to try this again. It was the only Poker I played my whole trip and it took alot out of me I was suprised how physically and emotionally draining it was.

PS Vega$ where were you?

Thief 21

Congrats on your first live tourney experience! Amazing how draining it can be, isn't it?

Good job on figuring out how the table was playing before starting to really play yourself! Seat 8 at your first table.....there is usually some idiot like this at at least one of your tables. Never let them get into you. The "re-buy" thing...hilarious isn't it? good job on paying attention to what Shane had to say!

Sounds like your original table was a very tough table, so great job in surviving it!

Your 1010 at the end I've talked about in your other post.

All things considered it looks like you played well, had a good time, and I'm happy for you!

Couple of comments:

seat 6....Couple hands later he again re-raises my Pot raise all in for about $500 I make my first bad mistake and call him with 66 he has TT
    . Don't call here! either go over him big, if you think he'll fold, or fold. And only go over him if you think he'll fold!

I'm dealt 99 in LP and have around 2400 in chips when 2 EP limp in to my suprise. I see this as an opportunity to collect some weak chips and raise all in all fold to seat 9 who thinks long and wants to take another risk but has just lost alot of chips the hand before he mucks then looks at me and asks what I had. I'm confused now do I answer, should I be honest?, should i ignore him? this was something I had not expected and was visably nervous about He said was I behind with A7s I said of course and he kept prying me finally a told them 99 which I think was a big mistake to do as you will maybe agree when reading later here.
    I would suggest that you never say exactly what you have, unless you are doing it for some specific effect (i.e. set-up someone later). Use those kinds of opportunities to give you more opportunities later. If someone is annoying you and ignoring them ain't working to shut them up, and you are unsure what to say to get the effect you want, just say something like "I had a hand", or "I had you beat"....then drop it!

.... and his name is Joe. Nice guy, he wishes me well says he hopes I win this thing and if I do maybe I can "help him out" he's a little tight lately. I say to my self if I win I will he's a god guy
    ACKKKKKK!!!! NO! Don't ever do that! Not saying that this guy WAS one of the plyers but, that's a bit of a scam that is ran by some low-lifes. You don't know this guy from dirt. You win some money, don't give it to this type of "hanger-on"!!!

Comment

Bruno,

Thanks for all the points they are all exactly what i have been thinking about, especially the 99 hand I think the reason I got the call from the guy with the AK was because of the 99. He was paying close attention to the conversation and I think noted to himself that I was willing to raise all in with a mid PP. Thus if he was right calling my raise with AK would give him 2 overcards to draw with. Thanks for the help, without you and the other members there is no way I even last untill the 2nd braek there. One thing that really suprised me was that pot raises even right from the start were the standard procedure there was absolutly no limping or calling raises which is the standard procedure here.

Thief 21

Comment

Great report,

I am sure I played in the same tourney, I only wanted to play for the experience and told a friend to come along to meet me around 8.15pm as I would be out as I had no intention of rebuys or add ons.

I think this attitude was a mistake as looking back now I am sure I would have got much much closer.

I am not sure how many players were left but I lasted until 9.50 pm and was playing loose before the second break to either make a stack or bust out.

I wish I knew you were playing as I would have said hi

by the way how do you remember all those hands (p.s the bodybuilding wife was not wearing a red top was she ?)

Harry

Comment

Harry she was totally wearing a red dress she was asian I think and had Big Boobs probably implants, she started at table #2 I think. Sorry I missed you there that would have been cool. I posted before going I would be playing in that tourney too bad you didn't see it. Tell me what you were wearing I bet I'll remember you.

Thief 21

Comment

I was on table three for most of the night, and then moved to the table that 'miss red dress' was sitting for about 2 hands before i got busted.

Think I was wearing a red/orange NIKE top

Comment

My business partner started on table three no way you could miss him he was playin holdem for his first time ever he busted right after the break so he must have made some crazy plays. If you had on a Nike shirt we were never on the same table thats to bad would have been nice to meet you.

Thief 21

Comment

Working...
              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.