PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

game_face's PSO Con blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• game_face's PSO Con blog

XPRC

I'll be posting a kind of blog on this thread whenever I get a chance. Which won't be often ... the cash games are juicy and Al Spath has us registering for tournies at 7:30am and poker must come first. I'll just add posts to this thread whenever I get a chance, so come back and check it for new posts. Go ahead an reply too, the more the merrier.

7-9-06

I spent mid-day at the Rio where WSOP 2006 is being held. WSOP is quite a production. It takes up the entire convention center behind the Rio. I've never seen so many people playing poker at the same time.

There were so many spectators for the Ladies Event that I couldn't get close enough to see any of the PSO ladies I was there to root for. Sorry, no blow by blows from me.

While I was there, I did some railbirding of the $10k PLO event, which was total poker pro city. Check out this one table we were watching: Marcel Luske, Jennifer Harmon, Gus Hansen, Cloonie Gowan. Close at hand were Jesus Ferguson, Mike Caro, David Sklansky, Isabelle Mercier, Scotty Nguyen, TJ Cloutier, Gavin Smith, and a bunch of other's who names I can't spell. Later, I moved to watch another table with Juan Carlos Mortensen, Sammy Farha, and David Williams.

Phil Laak and Doyle Brunson were greeting people and signing autographs. I felt sorry for Doyle. He couldn't take two steps towards the restroom without autograph hounds swarming all over him for signatures and pictures.

After unsuccessfully trying to see the ladies again, I bailed and went back to the Orleans to play an hour of juicy $4/$8 LHE before the PSO Mixer. Very juicy. I flopped a set of nines on a preflop raiser, check/raised him, and he capped every street (1 bet and 4 raises is a cap in Vegas) with me until he got allin, plus a couple of other players came along for the ride. There were flushes and straights on the river, but my set held up and I dragged a huge pot, over $120 total. Later, during a Half Kill hand (they play Half Kill, which means if a player wins two hands in a row, he's forced to post $6 preflop, and all bets are 1/2 more than normal), I picked up AA in UTG, and they stood up to 3 callers for another nice pot. The fish had left the table just at the time I needed to go to the Mixer, so it worked out great.

Met tons of PSO personalities at the Mixer. It was great connecting faces to names that I've known for almost two years!

After the Mixer, a bunch of PSO folks played the 7pm NLHE tourney. There were about a 100 people signed up, so it would be a long night. I stuck around to watch fishmonger and thehazyone one, who were seated at the same table. fishmonger was lagging it up. He won a big pot while I watched, and was talking smack the whole time. This was only the first 20 minutes of the tourney!

I went downstairs to pick up some more cash game action. Al Spath was hosting a $1/$2 NLHE cash game and I joined them. RIVERHATER2, Kaelaine, daggerz, Hvnsentman, themills and psumike were all there. Locals and tourists filled in the rest of the seats. We had a blast.

I knew I was outclassed at that table, but I sat down anyway against my better judgment. I was clearly the designated donk at the table.

There were monster hands during the two hours I played. Quads at least twice. We almost had quads over quads, which would have won our table a 70k bad beat jackpot, but on the JJ88 board RIVERHATER2 had 88 and the local only had KK. We gave him a hard time for not having JJ and costing us all a nice piece of 70k!!

psumike had a nice Hammer play when his 72 turned a fullhouse on a 7x72 board. He even got a caller. Thank god the caller had raised me off my A7 on the flop, or I would have busted with that hand.

Al was laughing it up and joking, but playing very tightly. He finally played a hand and blew me out of a pot on the flop with a big bet, and then flashed J2s, a total bluff. Fortunately, I had nothing on the flop either, so it was an easy fold.

I had a lot of fun playing with everyone!

Monday, the PSO tourney at 8am. Woo hoo!

Thanks for sharing Perry. Any updates on how the PSO ladies are doing in the WSOP event?

Comment

Originally posted by partaker
      Thanks for sharing Perry. Any updates on how the PSO ladies are doing in the WSOP event?
      I'll have to leave that to someone who knows for sure. I think all the PSO ladies busted before the money, but I will not swear to it.

Comment

XPRC

7-10-06 Morning

Up at 6:00am to get ready for the PSO live tourney. I had a little surprise planned for everyone, but you'll have to wait until the pictures that Shaky and others took get posted. Tee-hee.

About 100 PSO players signed up and the cards were in the air just after 8:00am.

At my table, from Seat 1 around:

1: NewJane
        2: Skratt
        3: RangerRick
        4: empty (later filled by ??? [sorry, forgot the name])
        5: me
        6: schwarze
        7: CLVR
        8: empty (later filled by DocH)
        9: Res Ipsa
        10: Poker_Fan99

A pretty tough table for me. Lot's of top placers both live and online.

Structure: 5000 starting, 20 minute rounds, blinds fast: 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 100/200, 150/300, 150/300+25, etc. Basically a double before the first hour or get out type of tourney.

I got some good cards. Won some pots with preflop raises (including when I opened for 500 in the 75/150 round with 69o, everyone folded, and I showed, tee-hee), turned two pair, flopped an Ace against two preflop limpers, etc. Those hands kept me a little above average. Most of the chips were going to the left side of the table, though: schwarze, CLVR, Res Ipsa, and Poker_Fan99 -- with NewJane being the exception and I think the table chip leader shortly after she busted out RangerRick.

I went a bit card dead and blinded down, as well as having to fold some hands that missed the flop. Dwindled for about two straight rounds.

Then I made a donk play during the fourth round, about 10 minutes after the first break. Blinds 150/300+25, I hadn't won a pot in a while and was down to around 3000, about 1/2 of average. I was in the BB, DocH in EP raised to 900. I put him on AK or similar overs. Everyone folded to me, I had 66. I couldn't afford to keep folding my blinds, so I just called to see a flop. Flop was rags, something like 9 8 4 with two spades. I figured he missed and would fold to a bet, so I bet 1200. He went allin for another 525. I knew I was behind then. I only had about 900 left, so I called. Sure enough, he had KK, and I didn't improve (came close though, turn was a 5 giving me a gutshot, but the river didn't help me).

That left me with only 375, so I was basically allin on my first FTA with any face card. Took a couple of hands, but I got QTo, pushed, got 3 callers (yay!), flopped AQ6, thought I was gonna triple up, checked around, turn 5, checked around, river a King I think, DocH bet, everyone folded, and he turned over 65 from the SB.

Not a great finish for me, but at least I lasted longer than Johnny_Bravo, Kailyn31 and thehazyone. :twisted: Yeah, yeah, so I'm a ladder-climber.

More later ...

Comment

Sweet suit Perry :twisted:

Comment

Structure: 5000 starting, 20 minute rounds, blinds fast: 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 100/200, 150/300, 150/300+25, etc. Basically a double before the first hour or get out type of tourney.
            For $125, that is one absolutely terrible structure.

What was the vig? Please don't say $25.

Comment

Originally posted by dMenthe
              For $125, that is one absolutely terrible structure.

What was the vig? Please don't say $25.
              I don't think there was any juice (or if there was, it was covered by PSO).

Yeah, a bit of a crapshoot, but PSO could only reserve dealers for 5 hours max, so it had to be a fast structure. During WSOP dealers are scarce so we were lucky to get what we got.

Comment

XPRC

7-10-06 Afternoon to wee hours ...

At the morning tourney, Randy (rggator) took down names of people who wanted to play a PLO $1/$2 cash game in the Orleans poker room. He had no problem filling the list. We had a date for 7pm to play.

After a late lunch, I headed down to the Orleans poker room to warm up for the 7pm private table. I played some Limit Omaha/8 $4/$8 with half Kill with a bunch of locals that apparently have been playing together for years. Normally I'd find easier competition, but the waiting list for the fishy table was so long it would be 7pm before I got a seat. So I just played with them. While this made it hard to make a profit, it also made it easy to put players on a hand. No one bet or raised low-only hands. When they came out betting, they had a high. I scooped a couple of small pots with no showdown, but mostly I ended up chopping it with someone else. I did get quartered once when my nut flush draw didn't come in on the river, but I had the nut low with one other guy. Fortunately, five called down, so I got my money back. It would have been a great scoop if I hit.

I'm embarrassed to admit I made a mistake on the very first hand. It was the first time I had to peek at 4 cards playing live and I kinda fumbled and got flustered. I thought I had As Ac 3s 2c, best hand possible, opened for a raise from MP (you can play immediately without posting if you are not between the button and blinds), got tons of callers, and proceeded to miss my high. We were heads up on the river and the board made a low possible with A 6 2. I figured I had missed my low so I said "fold" (which is binding) and THEN peeked at my cards one last time (idiot!) To my horror I saw As Ac 5s 4c! I hadn't looked at my cards other than that first peek, went on memory alone, and either misread or misremembered. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking to have AA32ds. Stupit. If I had peeked BEFORE folding, like you are supposed to, I would have realized I had a good shot at low and could have called $8 for a fairly large pot, about $80.

Needless to say, I won't make that mistake again. From that point on, I looked at my cards every time I had to act, lol. At least I didn't muck face up and have the whole table shake their heads at me for the idiot I am (though it might have gotten me more action, lol).

Finally 7pm rolled around and we sat down to a private game of PLO $1/$2. Here were the players:

Seat 1: zeroth (later replaced by Hvnsntman)
                Seat 2: Idoru99 (later replace by no one, empty seat)
                Seat 3: Dark_Knight
                Seat 4: PocketRocket (later replaced by a player whose name I didn't catch)
                Seat 5: fishmonger (later replaced by Hitman)
                Seat 6: rggator
                Seat 7: eddie_the_ritz
                Seat 8: schwarze
                Seat 9: wildfire21 (later replaced by siberianex)
                Seat 10: me

Adam, I was thinking about you while we were playing this game. It was more fun than anyone should be allowed to have. Besides the trash talk, joking, poker stories, and good fun, Randy was giving some mentoring along the way, helping people figure odds, looking at the folded hands and commenting on whether it was a good fold or not, etc. It was pretty friendly and easy-going, with a lot of people showing both their folds and their winners (or bluffs). The actual betting action was not soft, though. Everyone played to win. Particularly me. I was LAGging just as hard as I could, at least at first. Everyone was so good at that table the only chance I had was to make some loose plays/calls and to bluff. I showed down some truly awful crap which did some serious damage to my reputation, and I did feel bad for the beats I put on some superior hands, but if it is any consolation, I ended the 8 hour session down about $70. :roll:

One of the best lines of the night: A dealer asked, "Where do y'all know each other from?" Tim (zeroth) replied, "Internet dating."

We set the game up as a mixed game: one orbit of PLO/8, one orbit of PLO, and then an orbit of Pot Limit Holdem, sometimes with a live straddle. Every time we got a new dealer they couldn't believe what they had to deal ... we made their heads spin! Despite that, several dealers said they enjoyed dealing our table, since we were having so much fun.

As if the fun weren't enough, I got incredibly lucky. I mean, incredibly, unbelievably, donkey-fish-to-the-max lucky.

I'm pretty sleep deprived so please understand that I'm going on foggy memory and probably am going to get a lot of card and play details wrong. Please bear with me, and anyone who was there, feel free to correct me.

Check this out:

PLO: I got AAxxs and made a min raise from LP, announcing, "I make a minimum raise." There wasn't a single player at that table that didn't know what I had. Got a bunch of callers, saw a flop with a face card and a middle card straight draw possible, but no flush draw and no Ace, but the two middle cards gave me two-pair (I think -- I had something). Checked to me, I bet, got a couple of callers. Turn was an Ace which did not help the straight draw but did make a flush draw possible. I bet, everyone folded, I showed my AA.

That hand set up this following one about half an hour later ...

PLO: I got 6969 rainbow in the BB. I made a minimum raise, saying, "This is a mandatory raising hand." I think the board went T88K6, giving me sixes full of eights and also making a flush possible. I bet, I think I got called, not sure, in any case, I showed my Big Lick boat.

PLO: The very next hand, I was in the SB with AK96ss. Several limpers, I just completed. Flop was, get this, 669. I flopped another boat with Big Lick! I don't remember the action that happened after, but ended up winning that hand as well and showing Big Lick.

PLO: I got very lucky on DarkKnight and out boated him. I had KKxx, he had Kx, and the flop was K22. Ouch.

PLHE: I stole a pot from DarkKnight. I didn't mean to pick on him so much, honest! Louie was playing really well but getting unlucky. He made some terrific laydowns, nut flush to a paired board in PLO which in fact made someone a boat, etc. He kept getting in trouble with Kings, as from the previous hand. In this hand, Pot Limit Holdem, I had As Qs in the BB. Louie opened from EP for a pot raise, got one caller and I called behind. The flop was something like Ts 7s 4c. I thought, if Louie had AK, I could push him out of this pot with a semi-bluff. If he called, I might be able to check the turn to get a free card on the river, as the turn check would look like a trap. If he had a big PP, I could represent a set with a lead bet and still have outs if called. If the other player was drawing to spades, I had him beat. So I bet pot ($22). This made Louie very unhappy. He thought it over and eventually folded, showing KK. The other player folded too, I didn't see what he had. I folded without showing, but after a bit of remonstration, I confessed to As Qs. Louie was looking daggers at me for the rest of the night. :blush: I wasn't that much of a dog, though. If neither player had a spade, I had 12 clean outs for something like 52/48 on the flop.

PLO/8: I don't even remember what I had (straight? baby flush? mid set?) on the river, but there were 4 people in the hand total. schwarze was lead bettor and putting a lot of pressure on me. I almost folded on the turn and river since I didn't have the nut high and I had no low possible. However, since it looked like we were going to see the showdown four way and the pot was relatively big, I stuck around. To my surprise and great relief, the other three players, including schwarze, were all going low! All three had A2, but not a wheel. My high stood up and I took half, while they had to share the other half 3 way.

We played for 8 hours. I was up until 4am. Too many great hands to list. Hopefully others who were there will post some hands.

Pictures, courtesy of Shaky:

http://tinyurl.com/zfpdz

Comment

Great post, Perry. Looks like everyone was having a great time, wish I was there.

Kent

Comment

Dang, Perry!!!

Great reporting!!! Keep taking in that Red Bull and Mountain Dew!!! Sleep is for sissies!!!!

Look forward to more reports!!!!!!! Have fun bud...tell everyone I said Hi!

Comment

Great stuff Perry, keep it up! I would love to have been able to join you all in that $1/$2.00 Pot Limit Omaha cash game, at the Orleans. Last time I was in Las Vegas, (almost 2 1/2 years ago now), I played a whole month at The Orleans. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still the best room in town. Plenty of space, mostly happy dealers, and that Subway sandwich bar is very handy!

Adam.
                      adam@pokerpages.com

Comment

7-11-06 all day

This was a sleep-in day for me, since I was up at 4am. I didn't roll out of bed until 11am, caught up on the blog, got something to eat, and then headed to the PSO seminars. I only caught the last one on Psychology of Poker by Alan Schoonmaker. Some good stuff, interactive with Q&A, but the best line by far was when he was talking about patience and how, "... after a while, that 69-off starts to look pretty good ..." Aaron and Jordan were in the front row. The whole room exploded with laughter. The poor speaker wasn't sure what he had said that was so funny. When the speaker was looking at Aaron as he was saying something I didn't catch, someone else yelled, "Good read!"

We broke for dinner and I talked with Kaelaine, RangerRick, oakz and Lyckoper who both came to Vegas from Sweden, fishmonger, and several others. One of the things we talked about was the progressive bad-beat jackpot building in the Orleans poker room, over 71k. The number was big enough that several locals sit in the lowest stakes LHE $2/$4 game and just play every hand, hoping to catch a jackpot hand, which would be Aces full of Tens beat by quads or better, and you both have to be holding pocket pairs that both play.

After dinner I headed down to the Orleans poker room for some $4/$8 LHE action. I sat next to pokerfix (Michelle) at the first table I played. It was good to have someone to talk to while I folded 82o, 93o, J2o, 43o, etc., etc. for about an hour. I lost a couple of hands with middle pairs, won a couple with weak suited aces, and basically couldn't get anything going. So I tried to get into a Limit Omaha/8 game, but missed getting the last seat. So while I was waiting for another LHE $4/$8 game to open up, I ran into a bunch of PSOers playing private SNGs for $60 buyins. There were 3 games going at one point.

This would be a good time to say something about the Orleans itself. The Orleans is "off strip", which means it is not on Las Vegas Blvd. Being off-strip carries some of the same connotations as being off-Broadway: second class and off-beat, and the Orleans is no exception. This is gradually changing, as big new casinos like the Rio and the Palms open up off-strip, but the Orleans typifies the stereotype. One big benefit of being off-strip, however, is that it is relatively less expensive.

The Orleans is big. The casino floor is as big as any big casino on the Strip. It has several places to eat around the edges: sit-down restaurants with Italian, Asian, Mexican, and New Orleans style food, as well as a TGIF and a Subway. There's a Prime Rib loft and a swanky reservations-only joint called Canal Street.

Every big casino has a buffet and the Orleans has one too. It was not very good, but of course, I've been spoiled by the Bellagio's buffet.

I tried Sazio's, the Italian joint, for dinner. Good menu with the standards (pasta, pizza, chicken parmesan, etc.), as well as some favorites, like osso bucco and chicken marsala. I tried the latter and it was very good. The service was excellent and the room itself is newly furnished. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Some of the off-beat stuff is the full 70-lane bowling alley that is above the casino floor, an 18 screen movie-plex that shows first-run movies, some in THX, and Kid's Tyme child care in a Gymboree-like setup. The pool is pretty typical, with a separate jacuzzi and bar.

The hotel rooms are good quality, clean, and decent sized. The sound-proofing is amazingly good. Usually you can hear people talking or watching TV in the next room, or even in the rooms above or below, but not here. The couple in the room next to me had their door open, they were talking, and the TV was blaring, but when I shut my door, I couldn't hear them anymore.

Okay, back to the action. I finally got a seat and immediately started winning. Table selection is everything! There were some live wires at my new table, calling every bet with junk. This was my kind of table. Unfortunately, after I won two pots, the fish left or went broke, leaving us with too few players to play. It took a while to fill up again, but when it did, it was a bunch of casino workers, mostly dealers, who all knew each other. They didn't play all that well; in fact, I had good reads on most of them. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any cards. I got 82o and 83o for a solid hour.

In fact, by this point I had played Holdem for about 30 hours total, and had only gotten AA once in all that time, KK half a dozen times, QQ once, and AK maybe four times total. The hands I kept losing with were middle pairs.

I'm due, man, I'm due!

After dwindling down everything I had picked up at the new table and quite a bit more (from those middle pairs), I picked up Qc 8d in the BB. We were short-handed, only 6 players and on a Half Kill pot (bets were $6/$12). It had been folded to the CO, who limped. The Button limped, SB folded, and I completed to $6.

The flop was Qd 6c 2c. Six-handed, top pair with a kicker over the board is a good hand, so I bet.

The CO raised behind me. She was a dealer who played big face cards fast and small suited cards, any gapped, slow from correct position. Since she didn't raise preflop, she didn't have a better Q. I put her on a club flush draw with small cards.

The Button called. He was a chaser. He'd chase any draw for any amount of money and often folded on the river to one bet. He called. I put him on a flush draw or a low gutshot straight draw, like with A3 or A4.

I didn't want either of them drawing, so I reraised to 3 bets.

The CO made it 4 bets. This was unexpected.

The Button called.

I called.

The turn made the board Qd 6c 2c 8s. Now I had two-pair. I wasn't folding this hand for nothing.

I bet $12.

CO raised to $24.

The Button reraised to $36. Uh oh. What the heck? Did he sand bag a set? No way he had 88. 66 maybe? Deuces?

Corrected:
                        This was my first opportunity to escape, but instead, I reraised to $48 rather than cold-call two.

CO reraised to $60 with her last $12, capping all-in.

Button called $60.

I called $60. <== This was my second opportunity to escape.

River made the board Qd 6c 2c 8s 9s.

Button bet $12.

Now I was sure I was in deep trouble. The Button never bet the last card unless his draw came in. Did that SOB have JT? Could that even be remotely possible?

Well, there was too much money in the pot to fold, so I made the crying call. Sure enough, he turned over JTo. He had chased a gut-shot runner-runner straight draw for huge raises.

The CO had flopped two-pair with 6s 2s.

This was the second time I lost a huge amount of money to a runner-runner gutshot straight. My reads were basically correct, though I should have given the CO's flop raise more credit, but since I was calling anyway and then made a better two-pair, there wasn't much different I would do on the flop. Grrrrrrr.

I went back to being card dead for another hour, until I picked up KQo on a K85 flop. I bet and was called by a good but predictable player I had played before (he played Ax a bit too fast but otherwise played very solid). Turn made the board K854. I bet, he called. River made the board K8548. That second 8 scared me, so I checked. He bet, I called. He had 55 for the full boat. At least I saved a bet on the end by checking, though.

More card dead, then I picked up AK. That I made a full boat by the river was the good news. The bad news was that the AKx flop scared all but one caller out of the pot, so I only won a small pot. Story of my life, win small pots, lose big ones.

I called it a night after that.

Comment

7-12-06 all day

Another catch-up-on-sleep day for me. Most PSOers were more active, though. The PSO Grand Finale was in the morning. I stopped in a couple of times to watch the action and to get the bust order (posted elsewhere). Jerry ended up doing a repeat of his performance in the PSO private event, taking down first.

While I was napping in the afternoon, a bunch of PSOers played the $540 Orleans Open tournament. Very "skills oriented" structure, similar to the PSO 2-day, but with 60 minute rounds. I think 3000 starting chips, but I'm not sure.

It started at noon with 200+ players and when I checked it out around 8pm, it was down to 84. The following were still playing (not a complete list, I couldn't see all the tables from the rail): thehazyone, OceanPup, Johnny_Bravo, siberianex, RIVERHATER2, CLVR, DeafParrot, DocH.

A whole bunch more PSOers played one of the nightly "second chance" tournies at 7pm ($220 total including 1 rebuy, 2200 chips total, 30 min/level). There were something like 29 PSOers out of about 120. Some of the tables had 3 PSOers at them. Some of the ones I saw (again, not a complete list): DarkKnight, bhat, Pirates, citykid, oakz, Lyckoper.

I didn't do much myself, played a little $4/$8 LHE, up and down, no hands of particular interest, chilled with my homies themills and eddie_the_ritz, met baggytrousers and DeafParrot.

Some folks were planning to leave Thursday morning, so I said goodbye to Hvnsntman, Sharonique, themills, and psumike.

Comment

Thanks for the updates Perry,very interesting,i have a dream that i will make it over there someday.

Comment

7-13-06 all day

[I didn't have time Friday morning to post, only had 20 minutes to pack and get out of my room.]

Things were winding down. The 2nd day of the Orleans Open $560 NLHE played off, as reported elsewhere. PSOers were leaving by ones and twos all day. Some headed over to Caesar's Palace for a daily tourney. I saw Sailor Moe, xxPiratexx, RangerRick, oakz and Lyckoper there. Some stayed at the Orleans and played cash games. I saw Johnny_Bravo, joybell, fishmonger, Kailyn31 and Idoru99 there.

Here are some things I learned in Vegas (corrections welcome -- I don't claim these items are authoratative):
                              Jargon:
                              • "Front money" is your own money in non-cash form, such as money that was wired to the casino, as opposed to money that is on credit, aka "a marker". Usage: "I need to pick up my front money from the cashier."
                              • "Soft" money means cash, as opposed to chips. Usage: A player puts down a $100 bill at the table and asks for $40 in brown $1 chips; the dealer might call out, "Two stacks of brown, sixty soft back."
                              • "$XXX behind" means cash money at the table that is in play but not yet in chips. Usage: when you first sit down and put $100 bill on the table and a chip runner picks it up to get chips for you, he might announce to everyone at the table, "$100 behind!" The player can continue to play while the chips are in transit.
                              • "Dealer push" means the dealer rotation system used in the card room. Each dealer spends a certain amount of time at a table, 20-30 minutes, then gets pushed out of that table to the next table in a designated sequence that is usually posted in the room. Usage: "It's not the hours it's the push that's killing me."
                              • "Three men walking rule": You can stand up from the table, leaving your chips behind, and take a break, talk on the phone, even get something to eat. Your seat is reserved. However, in some card rooms, if three (sometimes four) people do this, the player gone the longest is removed from the table so that someone else can sit down. The chips are labelled and kept at the cashier's cage for you.
                              • "Must move": I'm not completely sure about this one, but it's some kind of table management technique. If you are on a must-move table, if another table playing the same game (say $4/$8 stud hi/lo) gets too short of players, you or others at your must-move table must move to the short-handed table to fill it up.
                              The "cap" on limit games varies by region. On PSO, it's 1 bet and 3 raises. In Vegas, it's 1 bet and 4 raises.

Holdem/Omaha rules for posting vary by card room. At the Orleans, you can sit down anywhere before the button and after the blinds and play without posting (sweet!) At Caesar's, you have to post an out-of-turn (OT) big blind, just like most online sites.

You can "buy the button" if you sit down between it and the blinds (and presumably from any seat at places that require that you post OT). For example, at a $3/$6 game (where the SB is $1 and the BB is $3), only seat 5 is open. The button was on seat 3 in the previous hand and moved to seat 4 in the hand you sat down in seat 5 for. You can either wait for the button to pass or buy the button, putting in $4, $3 as a live blind, $1 as dead money. When this happens, seat 6 and seat 7 need not post their "normal" blinds, as they would have if seat 5 remained empty. The blinds are on the new player, yay!

The Orleans (and presumably other card rooms with progressive bad beat jackpots) splits the rake between the normal fee ("drop") and the bad beat jackpot collection. The ratio varies by card room and pot size. "One and one" means an even split between jackpot and fee drop. For low limit games, like $2/$4, the split can get into sub-dollar amounts, so the dealers have rolls of quarters in front of them! You might get some quarters when the rake split is "two and one", i.e., $1 goes in the drop and $0.50 goes in the jackpot, leaving $0.50 in the live pot. Some dealers make change aggressively, leaving lots of quarters in the pot. Since most players don't like having piles of quarters in front of them (like me), these quarters often turn into tips. Instead of getting the usual one $1 chip tip, a dealer might get $1.50 or $1.75 in quarters. Of course, if you could stiff the dealer and only give them $0.25, but that wouldn't earn you much good will, lol. The dealers aren't stupid, they pay attention. They noticed I hated having quarters, so every time someone paid a blind, at least one of their chips turned into four quarters before the street was dealt, lol.

Cocktails are ordered in seat order. If you are in seat 10, don't shout out your order before the seat 1 person has spoken, even if the server is right next to you.

Player table change requests are given priority over players waiting to play.

You can lock up a seat by putting money at it, even one chip. For example, say you are at table 12 and you want a seat at table 5. A seat opens, it is offered to you (because you put your name in for a table change), but you are in the middle of a hand. You can give a chip to a floor manager or runner and they will place it at the seat on table 5 to reserve it. The dealer can also use a special "reserved" marker for the same purpose.

You can place a "live straddle" bet in the UTG position before the deck is cut for dealing. It is twice the BB. I knew you could do this in NL games, but you can also do it in limit. In limit, the limits still apply: a $4 straddle in a $2/$4 LHE game where blinds are $1/$2 means a call would be $4 and a raise would be $6 to go. The straddler has the option to raise if the the first round was not capped in front of him, e.g., if everyone calls $4, he acts last and can raise to $6. In NL or PL, think of the straddle as a raise-in-the-dark of 1xBB, such that regular calling and minimum raising rules apply, and as for limit, the straddler acts last in the first round.

That's a wrap for me in Vegas in 2006! Thanks for reading my blog!

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.