PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tipping tournament dealers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping tournament dealers

Just started playing live tournaments and got lucky a couple of times and finished in the money. Whe I picked up my winnings I was ssked if I wanted to give something to the dealers. I don't want to be a cheapskate but I'm not interested in giving my money away either. What's a reasonable percent to give?

I use 3-5% as a guide, decreasing the percentage as the win gets larger. Most of my cashes have been quite modest in size so most of my tokes have been 5%.

These people work very hard and are often not rewarded enough. Five percent is not outrageous imho.

Mike

Comment

It Depends

Good Afternoon,
      Like everything else in poker, it depends.

Many of the larger tournaments (WPT & WSOP) have the dealers covered in your initial buy-ins. You are not obligated to tip under these circumstances. However, a token of your gratitude is always welcomed.

There has been a lot written about the upcoming WSOP event and dealers are not happy with their cut. Therefore, it will be interesting to see how well the dealers perform? The circumstance is a NYSE company, Harrahs, running it and the motivation is profit. The tournament vig keeps going up.

The "no tip" precedence was tested at the World Poker Open at Tunica in 2005 when young, John Stoltzman won over $1 million. He left a $500 tip and was chastised by one of the well known writers on PokerPages. Eventually John was exonerated by stating his logic, that the dealers were compensated by the buy-in that everyone was forced to pay up front.

If you are generous a 1%-3% toke is more than adequate and acceptable IHO. This is for the smaller daily tournaments that do not withhold for the dealers. Check before the tournament to see if your buy-in automatically creates the dealer's toke. It might.

I agree with IDORU99, the GOOD dealers deserve up to the 5% in the small tournaments, but the GOOD dealers are sparse at most rooms. The players seem to be constantly teaching them what to do in tournament situations especially all ins with side pots.

Tipping is up to the player. Imagine winning the WSOP Main Event this year and paying 5% in addition to the buyin allocation -- a cool $500K on the $10 million win --- I think not. Even at 1%, $100K would be very generous.

Profitable Playing,
      PALLADIN2

"Have Gun Will Travel Reads the Card of the Man"

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.