PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


No announcement yet.

Tunica Jan 2006

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tunica Jan 2006 everything!
    I decided to go to Tunica a bit earlier than last year to try to avoid the “big” crowd which was expected to arrive with the beginning of the WPO. My goal was to take my yearly getaway from the daily routine of taking care of my four “children” (two toddlers, two four-legged furry animals), the fish, the husband and a house with (now Wilma-devastated) yard. The whole purpose of the trip was to spend a relaxing and fun break at the poker table with my best poker buddy and dear friend, Newjane. I did not plan to enter any WPO events unless there was an opportunity to qualify via satellite; it just so happened again this year that this vacation happened just before the WPO.

    During my 4 day stay (Wednesday – Saturday), I played A LOT of live poker, 2 STSs, 4 MTTs and a bit of Video Poker (the only machine that catches my attention on the floor of a casino). Overall, I ended the trip up, which exceeded my expectations by far. Most importantly, I had a wonderful time, wonderful company, and I enjoyed every minute of it! I don’t remember all the details of every event but I will summarize the most important lessons learned and most enjoyable moments.

    Live Action:
    I played a combination of $3/$6, $4/$8 Limit Holdem, and $1/$2 NLHE. The limit games were soft, usually weak/loose or weak/tight, and despite making money, I was soon bored with playing them and moved on to the no-limit game at the Goldstrike. Table selection is everything in live action games…and I learned that I must not, under any cirumstances play scared or it will cost me a lot of money! I had many sessions of NL play during this stay (some positive, some negative) but I had not played a lot of NL live games before, so all in all, I was a novice at the table. Here is what I learned:

    - In live play, when two players are allin, you are not obligated to turn over your cards until after showdown, and if your opponent mucks, it is a courtesy not to ask to see the hand that was mucked. I made a big blunder there and p**ssed off my foe royally when I asked the dealer to turn over his hand (my AA held up against his JJ). Time to take a lunch break LOL.

    - You need/can take more risks than in a tournament. I made a BIG mistake of laying down bottom set with a pair of 4s to a scary board in a pot which was for all my opponents’ and my own chips. This lay down cost me a pot of the size of close to $500, and it still hurts. I felt like an idiot afterwards but it is easy to think yourself out of the hand in the heat of the moment, especially when your opponent is confident in his betting/raises and has a lot of money sitting in front of him.

    - Find a table that lets you see a lot of flops. If the table raises and re-raises every hand, find another game where you can call a flop and use your postflop skills to outplay your opponent. Otherwise, the game can get expensive quick!

    I decided to try no more than two winner-take-all $65 single table sats into the $500 event for Thursday at the Grand. With 500 starting chips and quickly escalating blinds every 15 minutes, it was clear that I was going to need a lot of luck and some good hands that hold up to pull off a win. The story is pretty short here: In my first sat, I stole my way to 5th place, then busted AQ vs AK. In my 2nd sat, the guy who won the first hand took out one player after the next and ended up with 95% of all chips quickly and busted me I 4th.

    I finished in the money twice out of the 4 tourneys I played. First tourney was a $35 buy-in, 58-runners, with 10,000 chips starting at 50/100, doubling every 15 minutes. It sounded like a good tourney but I soon realized that the blinds would consume most of our stacks by the end of the first hour. Here is where I pulled off a huge bluff which is unusual for me. After going through 2 rounds of blinds with little cards, and a couple of failed steal attempts, I soon realized that I had to pull a bold move in order to have any chance at making it to the final table. I wasn’t very active at the table as I mostly tried to see cheap flops in late position which missed me by a mile every time, or I folded to raises ahead of me. Then an opportunity arose: With blinds of 400/800 and climbing soon again, I was sitting in the BB with 5 limpers in front of me. My stack had dwindled down to about 6100, but there was now over 5000 in the pot. My table image was tight and since the pot wasn’t raised I could be reasonably certain that none of my opponents held a medium or big pair as these would have been raised. I looked at my hand and saw 67o. I took a couple of second to contemplate, then decided that this was a perfect opportunity to take down a big pot. After all, my hand was probably no worse than about a 3:2 dog to 2 higher cards but with any luck, I was going to win the pot without a showdown. ALLIN! I tried to keep my composure and simply kept my head bowed and sat still. One by one my opponents folded till the last one who started to go into the tank. He had less chips than I did, and I guess he decided he was going to gamble with QTo because he finally said I CALL. OOOOOOOOPS. I said, nice call, and proceeded to get up from my chair. I think just about everyone’s eyes popped out when they saw my hand LOL. Talking about destroying your table image in one hand... Everyone started to cheer when 2 6’s landed on the board and I took down a huge pot. I got lucky to double up but I was happy with my decision to take a risk here in this spot. The move earned me a lot of respect, and my new stack enabled me to change up my game and cruise to the final table where I met back up with Newjane, who had also made it! We all quickly decided to take a chop for $200 each as the blinds were now a complete crapshoot.

    2nd tourney I played was a $125 freeze out at the Goldstrike. The tourney had 90 runners and I was off to a bad start early. I had to make one laydown after the next, and after raising preflop, I kept running into a board which helped my opponent every time. I soon was out shortly after the first break and moved to a live game. I also realized how important it is to study the tourney structure prior to an event and to have some sort of idea of how quickly a double-up is needed. Often the structure looks deceptively good but once the blinds get going, the tourney moves much much faster than anticipated. This advocates for a more aggressive game early in order to grow a stack quickly.

    I decided to play the same tourney the next night (Friday) but this time it was a 100 runners, $125 Bonus Chips tourney with one$50 add-on. I got the bonus chips since I was playing all day at a live game, and I decided to take the add-on no matter what. The tourney went really well and I soon had a good stack in front of me. Then shortly before the add-n break, I lost quite a few chips against a short stack when my TT lost against AQ. I later got revenge when I won with AK vs QQ, and KJh vs a short stack with pocket 9s. Then after a table move, I encountered a great situation on my second table: Thanks to a quick card rush, I was able to grow my stack to the size of the only other big stack at the table, who was sitting to the opposite of me. The other big stack happened to be a very savvy player who tried to avoid confrontations with me at all costs. This enabled me to pick up quite a bit of dead money as I was able to push allin preflop with mediocre hands (AJ, mid pairs) without fear of getting called my the only other stack that could hurt me. We even talked about this after the tourney was over. The situation frustrated him at the table especially since he was running card dead but it was perfect for me. Long story short: I made another final table and we decided to chop for $1000 each minus dealer tips, pay the two big stacks $1500 and play for another $800 and the “honors”. Once again the blinds were so huge that it was a complete crapshoot, and after a little negotiating with the big stacks everyone was happy to take the deal. I busted in 6th place.

    On my last day, I mostly played more live games and a small rebuy tourney where I busted before the end of the rebuy period. I only allowed myself one single rebuy, and it simply wasn’t happening for me. I figured I better save my money then pump any more into it.

    Overall, I had a fantastic trip, awesome company and a wonderful break. I can’t wait for next year!!!

  • #2
    Nice write up Marisa.

    Congrats on your nice finishes.


    • #3
      WTG Marisa!

      Folding a set? Were you skeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeered? :twisted:


      • #4
        Nice report Marisa!



        • #5
          Great report, Marisa!! It sounds like you had a blast!!


          • #6
            Great report! Sounds like a lot of fun.


            • #7
              Thanks for posting, Marisa! We are finally home.

              It was of course great to see you and spend some quality time!

              I sure hope JayW survived his time with two girls LOL

              LOVE ALWAYS


              • #8
                WTG Marisa, great report and congrats!

                Congrats to Janie, too - that must have been one fun final table!!

                Originally posted by NewJane
                I sure hope JayW survived his time with two girls LOL
                Some guys can only dream ...! :wink:



                X Cookies Information

                We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.