PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to play a low pocket pair against ak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to play a low pocket pair against ak

Fold ak always wins?

Matiszko1984
    The best way to play a low pocket pair is

1. Raise if first into the pot.
    2. only pay if you have the correct odds (15:1) to set mine.
    3. fold if you miss.

did want to add its hard to know you are against AK but two over cards or higher PP its the same drill.
    There was some talk on here before about low pocket pairs with some members saying if playing for the set they find that 22-55 is not profitable.

Grade b
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Matiszko1984

small pair vs the opp's range (we do not look at playing vs a single hand, we play against the opp's entire range).

If first into the pot and we're not short, make a standard raise sizing for our stack (ex: 3bb+1bb for each limper for a stack size in say the 70-200bb range).
      If someone else is in the pot, only call if we have 15x the amount needed to call available to win.
      If we're short and the pair that we have is a +EV shove.. then shove if first into the pot
      If we're short enough that we can profitably call an opp's shove or bet.. then do so.
      If we're on a resteal stack, we can shove over a limp or open.

If we are setmining and don't flop a set.. do not call a bet unless we're priced in for our 2 outs (4% of what the pot will be is all that we can call).

Each situation is different and these answers can vary depending on stack sizes, opp types, etc.

John (JWK24)
      Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Ty JWK

can you tell me how big is a resteal stack?

Grade b.
        I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

depending on the style of game.. like 13-21bb.
          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

with small pair always try to call with the minimum to see the flop
            if you hit u will make a monster hand, if not be carful, may be just fold

Comment

I think a call in most scenarios and a fold if you miss. I dont know about an initial raise but i guess it is possible with a big stack to prevent an initial raise that leaves us with a hard decission to call.

Comment

Originally posted by steventhebig View Post
                I think a call in most scenarios and a fold if you miss. I dont know about an initial raise but i guess it is possible with a big stack to prevent an initial raise that leaves us with a hard decision to call.
                You should make your standard raise if you are first in....other wise you are giving away your hand.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

call small raise if re raised has strong hand, depending on previous cards and draws could be worth a call

Comment

Just fold if raised preflop

Comment

A- Ana
                      K- Kurnjikova
                      Nice looking but not worth much.

Comment

Pre flop, get in the mindset that you *know* have 2nd / 3rd or 4th pair most of the time when the flop comes down. It might help you play in a logical way against the pre flop action. If 2 people are putting chips on the table, think about how likely it is that you're the one ahead(or convince them you are ahead) when the flop comes down, and it'll help you realize why there really needs to be a good amount of chips in everyone's stacks to make the play worth while.

Comment

Lift it very gently

Comment

Working...
                          X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.