PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardplayer Cruise/ Alaska

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardplayer Cruise/ Alaska

After the excellent and extensive cruise advice given to us by New Jane, I am compelled to add a report on our cruise.

We arrived in Seattle one day early and did a walkabout of the downtown area. I had been to Seattle many times but this was a first for Mrs. Bluechip.

We went to the Pike's Place Market (of course)... very crowded ... but we did see the seafood toss. No salmon this time, but they were throwing some dungeness crabs about. We did the Seattle Art Museum and had a fine dinner at McCormick and Schmecks.

Breakfast at Starbucks! There seemed to be at least one per block, maybe more. And then off to the ship, we boarded early and had no long lines.

The cruise was a delight. The weather was good, the seas were calm, the food, service and entertainment were excellent, and the views were incredible.

One of the best parts of this trip was meeting three other couples and sharing a dinner table with them each night. We had many common interests well beyond poker.

While we were at sea the poker room was open. I did meet Joybell and think there may have been some other PSO players there as well, based on their name tags and locations. I played a limited amount of poker, but when I saw Joybell, she seemed to be doing well.

There were four tournaments: NLHE, O/8, LHE, NLHE. I played three and made second table twice (pay one), and Joybell managed to make the bubble in (at least) one. There were seminars as well, but they were focused on Omaha, a game I gave up after months of therapy.

Some observations:

1. The play was very good. Better than my normal game at Foxwoods, much better than the average Las Vegas game. But this should be expected when you get a group together that is dedicated to poker.

2. The dealers were very good. There were very few mistakes, and Linda was conducting daily classes/critiques to maintain the high standard.

3. The game selection was limited. 1/2, 2/5 NL; 2/4, 4/8, 10/20 LHE. The biggest game was 10/20 O/8 with a full kill. This game only went in the evenings and was populated by Jan Fischer, Linda Johnson, and Mark Tenner (who taught the seminar).

4. You will probably not be able to cover the cruise costs in these games. This is not bad; just reality. The cruise was well worth the cost and more.

5. Most of the tours are about 20% cheaper if you buy them onshore. But if you have limited time, the onboard purchase "guarantees" they will get you back on time.

After we had departed Ketchikan, we watched a shore patrol boat ferry some folks out to our ship. They caught up about 30 minutes after we left. I wonder what that cost!?

6. If you are looking for jewelry, you just might get lucky and find a jewelry store at the dock!

5. I know we were warned, ... but we did pack too much!

6. We will do it again!

bluechip

WOOHOO!! I am so glad to hear you are home safe and had a good time. I think in Alaska you would be more than safe to take a shore excursion that wasn't operated by the Cruise line. I do not, however, suggest you try that in some of the poor countries in the Caribbean.

Thanks for the trip report..I had great memories from my last cruise reading about yours !!

Comment

Very nice trip report. Sounds like you and Mrs. Bluechip enjoyed yourself.

Comment

Working...
      X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.