PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2005 WSOP Main Event report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 WSOP Main Event report

This is my 2005 WSOP Trip report. I just have to say that I am very devastated in the way I performed in this event. This has to be one of my best and worst poker performances to date. Let me explain.

I like to play a tight / aggressive poker game and mix it up a little in between. The Main Event of the WSOP took that away from me. It was impossible for me to play that way. Here is a list of premium hands that I saw all of day #1c (in 15 hours of poker):
    2 times (KK) – won both made hardly any money
    1 time (QQ) – had to fold after turn, lost pot
    1 time (AK) – Made huge all-in bluff after flop and was bet in to.
    1 time (JJ) – won hand pre-flop.
    That’s it all day…5 premium hands…in 15 hours of poker. If I played tight aggressive I would not have made any money.

Next level hands I saw:

3 or 4 times (AJ) won one with bluff, folded most, folded with top pair Aces to a re-raise.
    2 times (A 10) folded all to a tight raise in front of me
    3 times (KQ) in position missed flop and had to fold all
    1 time (10 10) lost a big pot…biggest mistake of the tournament
    2 times (9 9) lost one, one one

Also, all day long I missed the flop with every starting hand I had except for the AJ which I folded anyway with the top pair, Aces. In that hand, I didn’t believe that my Jack kicker was good enough.

So I totally loosened up my play and after I saw my chip stack go from $10,000 to $4500 I made a bunch of moves to get back to $9800. I then made more moves to reach $14,000 by 10pm. Just remember, I still have not hit any flops. Finally, I get to limp in with Q9c, check the flop blind. Flop hits J 10 6, BB bets $1000, next player calls so I call. Turn brings another 6, all check, river brings the King, I check, BB checks and the other player goes All-in. I call and win the pot with the straight. Now my chip stack is at $29,000. I make a huge bluff on the turn with 4 5 offsuit to move my stack to $37K when the biggest mistake of the tournament comes up.

Tight early position player raises, I’m on the Button with pocket 10’s. I just call, which I feel is a mistake. The player that just raised had about $8500 in chips, if I re-raise to about $6000 he might fold. SB and BB folds and the flop is Q Q 5. The early position raiser acts like he missed the flop and then bets out $500. His raise pre-flop was to 3 times the BB at $1500. So the sirens started going off in my head and instead of listening to those sirens I decided to re-raise $2000 more. He slams the table and dances around like he doesn’t have anything and then says that he’s all-in. Now it’s $4500 more for me to call and here is my other mistake. If I felt that he had the trip Queens, which I did, I had absolutely not odds to call that all-in and I should have folded, but instead I call the all-in and he flips over A Q and I don’t catch and now am down to $29,000. I don’t have any clue why I called other than that fact that his acting weak was so bad that I actually thought he was weak. Lol. The other thing to was I missed every flop all day long, so how could somebody hit trips when I have not even hit medium pair. Just remember the cards don’t know who’s playing them, at least I hope not.

So now I’m still missing flops and my bluffs are not working cause of showing the 4 5 offsuit hand and I drop down to $21,050 at the close of day 1c. I should have sat on my hands when I reached $37,000. It would have been better to have gone into day 2 with $35,000 or better than the $21,000 that I ended up with.

Day 2 starts and I am put on a table where the majority of the players were over $40k in chips or all the low stacks were getting knocked out and new players coming to the table had over $40k in chips. Pocket Aces and Kings and Queens and 10’s were flying all over the table. Every other hand players were all in with their pocket pairs. And I was just sitting there with uneventful cards. Folded A 10s to a middle position raise and folded A J to a middle position raise within the hour that I was playing at this table. Then with the announcement of the break and the blinds going to go up I decided to call a raise from a middle position player with my AJ on the button. Flop missed again, middle position checks, I bet to $4000 and player goes over the top for $6000 more, of course I fold. Now down to $12,250, I make a UTG raise with AJ for $2200, everyone folds except the BB with $50k in chips. Flop hits K 9 3, BB checks and I move all-in for the remainder of my $10,050 in chips. BB thinks for a minute and then calls showing pocket 8’s and I get no help and am out of the tournament.

I played my best poker from about 1pm to 11pm day one and after that it was all down hill from there. It would have helped if I could at least hit a half a dozen flops but I didn’t. I made one mistake and with the kind of cards and flops that I was getting that was enough to ruin my WSOP Dream. I should have played a little tighter on day 2, but the flops were much the same as what I saw on day one and the cards being dealt to me were much the same. I needed to be more mentally stronger than I was, to be able to deal with the card drought that I had. How do you mentally prepare? Keep thinking about the positives and do not dwell on the negative. There was so much negative that I kept dwelling on that I forgot about the positive. The negative was that I could not get cards or hit a flop and that I will never hit a flop in this tournament. The positive was that I built my stack to $37k with absolutely no cards or flops and I was in contention and made it to day 2 with $20k. That’s what I should have built myself on!!! Thank god they have a 2006 WSOP, cause I will make up for this lack of insight.

Frank “The Force” Esposito

Nice report Frank! Wish you the best thru out the year & hope to see you at the final table WSOP 2006.
    2 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
    X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.