PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 challenge - Mendes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 challenge - Mendes

Hi PSO people,

It took me long enough, but here I am with my plans of action for 2014. I'll be updating this thread about twice a week just like last year during the time vault, and blogging at least once a month, ideally twice.

I would be really happy to count on your comments, it helps me keep going. It's a hard road ahead, but also a great one full of challenges and specially, full of learning.

I like to see myself as a life long learner, and my approach to poker is not very different than it would be to learn any other subject matter, like math, computer science or languages. A nerd-ish approach to poker. Also I make now a monthly plan. The long term plans are basically to keep grinding following a 100 buy-in BR management, so at some point I'll be either going back to 5nl and 50c SNG games without MTT grind or going up to 25nl and include MTT's under $ 5. And beyond that.We'll see how it goes. Whatever the move is, it will be inside a strict BR management so if you ever see me play the Sunday Million this year it's either because I have 100 buy ins in my account or I got in for free.

My plans for 2014:

January: Study and review, watched tons of videos and played freerolls.

February: About the same as January, but included some 50c 180 man and 50c 360 man, as well as some 5nl full ring zoom. A lot more study than play.

March: A heavier grind begins. Put up volume in 2,50 180 man SNG, MTT's under $2 and begin regularly grinding 6 max 10 nl. I have been playing about 500 hands a session per day, in a single table, but want to slowly increase that volume. Top topics of March in study: hand reading/ranging and the plan for the hand.

1- Take one little baby step at a time, one hand at a time.
    2- Follow strict bankroll management.
    3- Important: post hands at least twice a week in the hand analysis forum.
    4- Keep the green line going up!
    5- 6 to 8 hours a day 5 days a week. 2 to 3 hours of each day reserved for self analysis and watching video's.

April:

1- Study hand analysis/ranging.
    2- Play MTT's under 3 $ regular speed, massive volume. Keep the SNG 2,50 180 man grind going.
    3- Important: keep posting hands at least twice a week in the hand analysis forum.
    4- Balanced daily schedule, better time management, include more exercises and healthier food.
    5- Limit my MTT playing days to 3 days a week (long sessions) and have better/shorter cash sessions at 6max 2nl>5nl>10nl followed by 25nl sporadic shots.
    7- Main MTT grind on weekends specially Sundays.

May:
    June:
    July:
    August:
    September:
    October:
    November:
    December:
    Last edited by mr mendes 20; Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:08 PM.
    Time Vault Champion 2013

Very best of luck with your challenge and goals. Have no doubt you will achieve them umbup:

Comment

Good Luck in your challenge and at the table.

PH

Comment

Originally posted by mr mendes 20 View Post
        It's a hard road ahead, but also a great one full of challenges and specially, full of learning.
        mr mendes, hey!! Think I spend more time studying than playing too Always so much to learn, but it helps so much - looking forward to hearing more about what you're learning ... hopefully I can pick up some tourney tips!! Wishing you all the best with 2014 - GL GL GL!!! umbup:

Comment

Thanks Sam, Pinoy and Bhoy for the wishes and comments!

I am trying to get better at 6 max. Will be using the hand evaluation section a lot more the coming months, hopefully not giving away too much of my fishy/maniac playing style
          http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-flopping-well.
          This means I'll be re-following, reviewing, stalking () Felix on youtube and twitter #grindingitup
          Time Vault Champion 2013

Comment

Hi People!

I'll be posting hands in the hand analysis sections at least twice a week, and publishing here as well. This one was analysed by Felix http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...108#post497108
            Time Vault Champion 2013

Comment

update week 3 March

Hi there,

The grind in 10nl 6 max is going pretty ok, sort of breaking even, had some horrifyingly terrible plays but also some good ones, I have been posting hands in the cash hand section, like this one:
              http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...775#post498775

As for the 2,50 180 man had a few itm positions -min cash, 14th and so on- out of 8 tourneys or so and today a FT for 4th place and a nice $30 plus add to the BR. I think I played it pretty ok, but may have missed some opportunities to fold.
              What really matters in these are the top 3, so when we were at the final table I didn't get shy on finding shoving spots. 180's rock!
              Oh, and case you din't listen yet, I had a nice talk with Cannon and Royalraiser in the Podcast show about the time vault and other things. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Online-Podcast.

Gl luck all at the tables!
              M.

Sam, thanks for stopping by:
              "Think I spend more time studying than playing too Always so much to learn, but it helps so much - looking forward to hearing more about what you're learning ... hopefully I can pick up some tourney tips!!"

I don't think I am qualified enough to give you tourney tips let me make a few more FT's then we talk
              Time Vault Champion 2013

Comment

update last week of March

This was a month of ups and downs, with a historical +650 BR and Silverstar, followed by a horrible weekend- last weekend- playing too many hours of bad quality poker all Sunday log. I think busting early of the Micromillions main event had a bad effect on me. I don't even dare to play poker anymore after yesterday, gotta pick the last pieces of self-esteem from the floor and hit the tables some other time. After some heavy hand reviews. Arg.

I had some tournaments under 3 dollars with a couple of min cashes and bounties. The most expensive one was the MM main event that I wanted to play because I had a FT in the 2,50 180 man for 4th place this week.

Also I had some sorry shots at 6 max 25 nl with less success. Back to 10nl and then slowly up again later. There are plenty of #fischigespieler at these levels as well specially in the weekend. Which does not mean you win from them, you just make a better chance.
                The last hand I posted in the hand analysis section is this:
                http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...Q-defend-in-BB

For you Silverstars and up around, how can I best profit from this vpp level?

Cheers and good luck at the tables.
                Time Vault Champion 2013

Comment

As for today's study plan,

Taking a peek at Randy Lew's way of thinking by watching

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...rnation-Part-1

and

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Session-Part-1

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Session-Part-2

Which amounts for about 2 hours of study + notes.
                  Time Vault Champion 2013

Comment

Originally posted by mr mendes 20 View Post
                    For you Silverstars and up around, how can I best profit from this vpp level?
                    Will be interesting to hear from other people - I haven't been doing much in that department myself ... trying to get better at zoom seems to be taking all my time

Comment

Well i suppose silverstar is great because you make more fpps than bronze or chrome, i use mine on satellites and if i win i then decide to either play tourney or just take tourney money, and play tight all the way, they are pretty easy to beat, i like the big 2.20 and 4.40 satellites. Also saturday micro 33fpp sat is good value imo.

Comment

Last week of March The month of March passed by, lots of hours of study and play, I have played more than last two months but still not the volume I want. Yesterday finished 8th out of 506 players in the 2,20 6 max 1K guaranteed. It's a slow structure which allows to play some proper poker without having to switch so often to push/fold mode as in the turbo's. I really like 6 max specially cash games. Unfortunately I busted right before the final table bubble, which sucks specially being the dominating big stack throughout the whole late levels. Playing MTT's in the late hours works for me, it's relaxing, no distractions. It payed 20 $ when I could have almost folded my way into the last three spots, instead of getting over the top aggressive with a crazy LAG (51/40) attacking my blinds who calls a 3 bet with 73s (backdoor flush and 4 outs to ace high straight on the flop, correct me if I am wrong, terrible play on his part, but I should not have called the river shove with just an ace pair... don't know). I try not to tilt but sometimes it's really hard In the meantime I made two blog posts: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blo...ncept-of-karma http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blo...k-of-certainty Getting fot the last one a ticket to the Big Bang, which is great value. Thanks PSO! Well good luck guys on the tables I guess it's
                        Time Vault Champion 2013

Comment

I'm not one to play much MTTs but I think with that hand u can raise bigger pre flop. I won't comment about him opening 73 as nothing needs to be said about that. Great flop for him though. He had 8 outs to make a straight, four 2's and four 6's. He did have decent odds to call your continuation bet. GL next month mr mendes, hope you can continue building your volume and improving your game. umbup:

Comment

Originally posted by Built-byTilt View Post
                            GL next month mr mendes, hope you can continue building your volume and improving your game. umbup:
                            Thanks BbT for passing by! You too good luck. Nice looking stars you have there This MTT hand above I posted here just for fun I don't really care that much about bad beats Besides this was one of the many tournaments. This month of april started well, a couple of deep runs in the micro regular/turbo MTT's, cashed a few min cashes nothing too impressive. The cash grind is also going ok. This is my WTF JUST HAPPENED moment of the day
                            Time Vault Champion 2013

Comment

That hand made me
                              Good luck in April!

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.