PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bhoylegends December 6 max challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bhoylegends December 6 max challenge

For the last month of the year I am going to conduct a small challenge to keep my motivation up and also to test myself at 6 max while also continuing my regular game of 10NL FR.

I've played about 5,500 hands over the last week as a tester and come out of it with about $30 profit so I am hopeful that I can turn a profit at this for the month.

Obviously within the time constraint of a month I probably won't be able to progress to 10NL but if I reach $40 I will move up to 5NL. I will move back down to 2NL at $20. This is fairly aggressive I feel but I am willing to be aggressive with this challenge and see how I do.

I feel 6 max will be a nice change from my current games. While I have done well so far at my current games, albeit I have hit the skids the last two days, I want to broaden my game a little.

I'll endeavour to post big hands here along with graphs each day I play. I aim to play at least 20,000 hands for the period of the challenge.

Good luck with this Brendan! If you manage to crush 6-max, you might find you never go back to nit-ring.
    Bracelet Winner

Comment

Good luck!

6Max means you play more pots and have to play more often out of the blinds and against the blinds, so any skill advantage you might have will be more noticable at 6Max than at FR.

Just a note of caution though - don't get too depressed/elated with a 20K sample size. These are two of the more dramatic swings I've had recetnly at 10NL 6Max

Over a 7K hand spell, I recently had a 17 buy-in downswing but fortunately I've also had a 12K hand spell with a 13 buy in upswing. Fortunately my baseline is usually profitable but variance is a bitch!

Comment

Day 1 completed.

Profit/Loss: $8.05
        Cumulative: $8.05

As can be seen by the graph it looked like being a losing day for quite a while. I would get good hands but they would be second best hands for the most part. Thankfully it turned it self around a bit. I got some monster hands and got paid for them.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...728_81C7C70BE5

Fairly standard hand for the most part, open with 77 from the button, flop a set. Let the donkbet go without rasing on the fairly dry board. Raise his cbet on the turn and overbet shove on the river. Wouldnt play this the same way any higher than 2NL but the overbet shove on the river gets called so often at 2NL.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...023_3829298707

Villain slowplays his set until the point he is behind on the hand and then donkbets river and calls off my shove.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...059_41B5DCA7B6

Flop a set with AA on a AxK board against someone who had minraised. Felt pretty confident that I was good at all points in the hand though I was surprised by his actual hand.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...101_5687D628B8

Flop well with QQ. Happy to get it in though I was worried a little about set over set but he could easily have had KK too so had to get it in.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...130_4DC9C5EE69

4x4 = Nice pot.

All in all I am pretty happy with the results here. I stole to an insane degree. 40% of my hands from steal positions were played and I got away with it for the most part. To compensate for this I lowered my cbet % when I missed.

Good start.

Comment

glgl B!!
          Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
            Good luck with this Brendan! If you manage to crush 6-max, you might find you never go back to nit-ring.
            Thanks Arty. I dunno about nit-ring, it seems pretty loose at 10NL, been stacked by some absurd holdings in the last few days.
            Originally posted by spand42 View Post
            Good luck!

6Max means you play more pots and have to play more often out of the blinds and against the blinds, so any skill advantage you might have will be more noticable at 6Max than at FR.

Just a note of caution though - don't get too depressed/elated with a 20K sample size. These are two of the more dramatic swings I've had recetnly at 10NL 6Max

Over a 7K hand spell, I recently had a 17 buy-in downswing but fortunately I've also had a 12K hand spell with a 13 buy in upswing. Fortunately my baseline is usually profitable but variance is a bitch!
            Yeah, 20k is a small amount, but its at the bottom end of what I think I can play. I played more than 2000 today alone and got off to a good start. I'm used to playing 10NL 9 max and have been successful there so far but the variance is indeed a bitch.

Comment

Good results on day 1.
              Originally posted by bhoylegend View Post
              http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...101_5687D628B8

Flop well with QQ. Happy to get it in though I was worried a little about set over set but he could easily have had KK too so had to get it in.
              In general, you can 4-bet QQ and get it in at 6-max. Just calling the 3-bet misses value in my opinion. One of the major adjustments I made when switching from FR to 6-max was altering my pre-flop stack off range. At 2NL 6-max, you'll often find players getting it in with ATs or TT (and shorties stack off even lighter), so QQ becomes a clear 4-bet for value in most scenarios.
              Bracelet Winner

Comment

For the last month of the year I am going to conduct a small challenge to keep my motivation up and also to test myself at 6 max while also continuing my regular game of 10NL FR. I've played about 5,500 hands over the last week as a tester and come out of it with about $30 profit so I am hopeful that I can turn a profit at this for the month. Obviously within the time constraint of a month I probably won't be able to progress to 10NL but if I reach $40 I will move up to 5NL. I will move back down to 2NL at $20. This is fairly aggressive I feel but I am willing to be aggressive with this challenge and see how I do. I feel 6 max will be a nice change from my current games. While I have done well so far at my current games, albeit I have hit the skids the last two days, I want to broaden my game a little. I'll endeavour to post big hands here along with graphs each day I play. I aim to play at least 20,000 hands for the period of the challenge.
                glgl make it a good chrimbo umbup:
                Attached Files
                Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
                  Good results on day 1.

In general, you can 4-bet QQ and get it in at 6-max. Just calling the 3-bet misses value in my opinion. One of the major adjustments I made when switching from FR to 6-max was altering my pre-flop stack off range. At 2NL 6-max, you'll often find players getting it in with ATs or TT (and shorties stack off even lighter), so QQ becomes a clear 4-bet for value in most scenarios.
                  I have been both getting it in and flatting 3bets with QQ so far and I agree that the stack off ranges are much wider.

I don't recall what was in my head when I played that hand but obv. happy with the end result. Given the stinging hangover I had it was a surprise to get such good results. On day 2 of my latest self-induced misery I will maybe take a day off but will see how I feel later.

Comment

Day 2 Completed.

Daily Profit/Loss: $5.48
                    Cumulative: £13.53
                    Hands played: 2837

Daily Graph:

Cumulative:

Day two completed and it was another decent day results wise. Mangled some hands but still did enough to get a positive day out of it.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...424_195A4A7DB7

I don't really like how I played this hand at all. I should have looked to get it in on the flop if possible and I think the river raise was dodgy. I felt flushes were a decent part of his range on this board though along with some overpairs and singleton clubs KcX and QxX.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...518_79C642C778

Pretty standard I think. Raise with a pair, cbet with an overpair, turn a FH and the river gives a lot of Ax hands a reason to call.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...572_F508AEF351

Big pot but would have liked a river call.

Those are the three biggest pots but there were some other nice ones and some not so nice results.

Enjoying the variety this 6 max is bringing.

Comment

Hand 1 flopped flushes are usually best to play quick so if another club comes don't lose action. Suppose the river raise worked out ok but generally unless total fish they are going to fold flushes and call with houses.
                      Hands 2 and 3 standard.
                      Thought you were playing 5NL to start with? Must have misread.
                      Welcome to 6max.

Comment

gl bhoy no doubt you'll crush it

Comment

Originally posted by willhebe View Post
                          Hand 1 flopped flushes are usually best to play quick so if another club comes don't lose action. Suppose the river raise worked out ok but generally unless total fish they are going to fold flushes and call with houses.
                          Hands 2 and 3 standard.
                          Thought you were playing 5NL to start with? Must have misread.
                          Welcome to 6max.
                          Yeah, like I said in my post above, I don't like how I played it. I thought flush hands made more sense on that board than FH hands. There are some Jx and 8x combinations he can be in there with but not too many. If he he had the other two j's or 8's that would have made more sense to me.

As for starting at 5nl, that was never in my plans:

'...if I reach $40 I will move up to 5NL...'

I have some way to go yet before I play 5nl.

Originally posted by birdayy View Post
                          gl bhoy no doubt you'll crush it
                          Thanks birdayy - I will certainly try to.

Comment

progress to 10NL but if I reach $40
                            Told you I misread it didn't see the but

Comment

Day 3 Completed.

Daily Profit/Loss: $7.10
                              Cumulative: £20.63
                              Hands played: 3832

Daily Graph:

Cumulative:

Boom player is down for maintenance at the minute so I will try and upload some hands when it is back up. It was a good session though with some good volume for a quick session.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.