PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working on becoming a better Poker Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on becoming a better Poker Player

Played 37 tourneys so far this month... and not too many negative scores on the board.  Having managed to break through the '1800 points' barrier last week for the first time I have been hovering around the 1850 mark now for a few days after a couple of early 'suck outs'... which cost me approx. 35 points.  Despite that I'm still in the mix for a place in the Top 50 with 9 days to go… and have secured the necessary 20 VPPs to ensure that I will be 'Active' next month (... thanks to the advice from some of the more experienced PSO members).

Good luck at the tables.

Prodigy237

Not played for 4 days (over the holidays)... and found it hard going yesterday.  Managed to grind out another ITM finish in the 17.30 (ET), but not before a 'mid table' finish cost me 12 points.  Overall finished the day +12.79 points on 1851 and 89th on the leader board.

Still targeting a Top 50 finish... and probably need a couple more ITM finishes (with no early outs) to reach my goal with 4 days to go.

Good luck at the tables.

Prodigy237

Comment

In my eagerness to get back in to the Top 50... I played 4 tourneys today and 'hit the wall' (metaphorically speaking)... dropping 40 points and 100 places in the process. Managed to gind out an ITM finish in my last tourney to salvage some points... but its not been a good couple of days for me in the PSO League.

In stark contrast, I finished ITM in a NLHE ($5K Gtd) tourney and turned a profit on the $0.01/$0.02 cash tables... so all is not lost.

A wise man once said... tomorrow is another day. 

Comment

hi,
        i am no expert! this is an idea that just might work, dont know about this month since there i just one more day left, but more for a thought to keep in mind... the thing is not to only win the games, but also to manage ur overall standings. see the more i think about this past month's successes and failures the more i come across things that can be overlooked by any amateur. i am one and this is how i am going to try to put more stability to my achievements on the leaderboard. besides the game, a good player is when u learn how to control the direction ur game goes....
        sit back, limit your part taking in PSO games, let's say to start with 2 games per day... this way one cant overwhelm themselves too much if they lose at least u only lose 2 games... review ur games.... make the necessary changes and apply them to the next day's 2 games. if u start getting points on 4 days back to back, then u could go for more then 2 games, try 3 then more. increasing to the game play. if u lose go back to 2 right away... dont try to make up... there is a next day, just like the wise man says...

i thought about this and i will definetly try next month..... hope we both can try and see if it works for more than one player...... stay in touch??

Comment

Hi ReyzThis,

I agree with you a 100% and have tried to focus much more on quality rather than quantity of games in December (average of 10 or 12 tourneys per week)... and more importantly working on finishing ITM to maximise points, but I had more time on my hands this week (due to the holidays) and in turn broke my own rule...lol.

Equally I think it is important to acknowledge that at some stage during the month all of us (... even the very good players) are going to have a 'bad run' or as I experienced in 3 of my last 4 tourneys being completely 'card dead' and it's how you deal with those downswings that sorts the good players from the rest... hence tomorrow is another day. It is so easy to go on tilt after being 'donked out' of a tourney (recently my AA were busted by 75o sending me to the rail in 1049th), but taking a step back, picking yourself up and recognising that 80% of the time my AAs would have stood up is half the battle.

I certainly value your comments and I wish you the best of luck in 2011... and likewise stay in touch so we can compare notes.

Comment

So much for the wise man... the final day of the PSO League was a train wreck.  Nothing stuck... and to make matters worse the ‘Donks’ were out in force trying to do their utmost to knock out as many players as possible just for the fun of it… resulting in 3 early 'suck outs' when first my AA's were busted by 75o (after hitting runner, runner for a straight), and then lost two tourneys in quick succession... AKs vs 73o (2 pair), and lost a coin toss AQs vs 55 (after hitting a set) on the river.

The frustrating thing is... I made a conscious decision to only play 'premium hands' (as you can see above) in the early stages and despite that still ended up losing 60 points and a prize after finishing outside the Top 200.

All in all it was a disappointing end to what had promised to be a good month... and will make me think twice about playing the last day or two of the month in future to protect my score.  That said… I learned a valuable lesson and having achieved ‘Active’ status this month will be aiming to improve my position / points score (... and hopefully winning a share of the prize pool) in January.

Good luck at the tables... Happy New Year.

Prodigy237

Comment

I didn't have the greatest of starts... after a couple of early 'suck outs' on day one  and I have struggled since to find any real form and / or cards.  Ironically, my one and only ITM finish this week was a long and rocky road... I found myself down to $280 in chips with just 8 mins gone (... after my 's were cracked again!!!) and managed to fight my way back from last place with approx. 1400 ppl still around... to finish 168th.  I felt like I'd gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson... and I lost count of the number of 'All in' battles I was involved in just to survive.  So much so, I had to lie down in a dark room afterwards... lol.

I'm hoping my luck will change this weekend so I can try to make up some ground on the guys at the top... so if you're listening (oh mighty and illustrious poker gods) give a guy a break and let my  's stand up... one time.

Watch this space... & see ya at the tables.

Comment

I played in just 10 tourneys this week (21 in total) but managed 4 ITM finishes (… narrowly missing out on 2 more), which is a ‘BIG’ improvement on last week… and as a result have made steady progress in the league. I’ve still got some ground to make up if I going to make the Top 50, but its early days and with abit of luck and a tailing wind... who knows I might just reach my goal by the end of the month.

It was also a good week for my bankroll… after a 2nd place finish in the ‘Whitestar’ Bankroll Management tourney on Wednesday.  What a blast… a great tourney, great ppl and great poker.  I have to say it was probably the most fun I’ve had at the felt since joining the PSO League in October. Congrats to Mary aka ‘MeowSasKitty’ on the win… and to all those who took part.

I would also like to say a ‘BIG THANK YOU’ to Poncho (& the sponsors) for organising the event… and for the ongoing dedication and generosity shown to the new PSO members (like myself) keen to learn and improve.  I am pleased to report that I have already put my prize money to good use having made a small, but welcome profit of $4.28 at the 1c/2c cash tables yesterday (… not that I'll be turning pro or retiring just yet...lol), but it was enough to ensure that I will be ‘Active’ again next month.

Thank you to everyone… & see you at the tables.

Pr:wink: digy237

Comment

Like so many others in the League on the wrong side of the time divide... I do not have the time or the inclination to play 75 - 90 tourneys a month, and therefore my focus has to be different.  When you only play an average of 10 tourneys a week... finishing ITM or at the very least in a (+) points position becomes even more important (... as does not crashing out early).

This week I played in 8 tourneys (... total of 29 this month), and managed another 3 ITM finishes (with only 2 neg. scores) taking my points to 1784 (ranked 233rd).  Yes it's a grind sometimes... and can be very frustrating, but my goal is to finish in to the Top 50... and win $50.00.  Obviously the laws of probability dictate that with so few tourneys a larger prize would be virtually impossible (... as the guys at the very top play on average 50 - 75 tourneys a month), but if the truth be known I would be happy if I could emulate those players who consistently make up the first page month in month out. e.g. Darkman, Essey Armen, navarregator, grama deb, scubajoe etc... not to mention II Cote II and 11SCORPIUS11.

Good luck at the tables.

Pr:wink: digy237 

Comment

Online Poker

I have registered to play in the PokerStars World Blogger Championship of Online Poker! The WBCOOP is a free online Poker tournament open to all Bloggers, so register on WBCOOP to play.

Registration code: XXXXXX 738829

Comment

Could you explain how to post this?

Comment

After narrowly missing out on Thursday... I finally qualified for the WBCOOP Main Event on Sunday, 30th January 2011 (15.00 ET) after finishing 64th in the final NLHE qualifier earlier today... and I also won a $11 SCOOP ticket in the process.

At one stage (close to the first bubble)... I was running 10th, but made a rash call holding  and ran in to costing me half of my $28K stack and dropped me down to the mid 30s.  After that, I moved tables and was card dead for 5 or 6 orbits... with the blinds rising up to $1,600 and eventually went out after going 'All In' with  and lost to   after missing the board.

Congrats and  good luck to all those who have qualified for the Main Event... See ya there.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Liked the post. It's refreshing to hear someone call themselves out for a bad play and a good beat (made up term?). I'm glad you did well, overall. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks guys... Got myself in to abit of rut in the latter stages and ended up conceding too many blinds to CO / BU raises than I would have liked, but was pleased with my game overall.

Need to work on picking off / defending blinds... but this is easier said than done when the cards don't come your way... and you're up against good players.

Looking forward to the ME... Watch this space.

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.