PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My poker journey (or My road to millions).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My poker journey (or My road to millions).

My wife says I should be be more optimistic (then she laughs when I say I'm going to do well in a tournament), hence the subtitle. Anyway, a little background. I'm married with 3 kids. Although I played my first game of poker in elementary school, I started playing poker as an adult about a year ago (I'm in my early 30's). I've been playing some kitchen games, have played twice in a poker room, but mainly play online on poker stars. I've learned what I have by the standard means (online, books, tv shows, watching poker, instructional dvds, and experience). I enjoy the game. Of course, the thought of making money off of it is a major plus. The tournament experience on pokerstars has been my most valuable tool. Yes, there are a lot of players making stupid calls out there. Yes, people don't play freerolls like they do "real" poker. Like everything in life, you have to learn what is good practice and what was just luck. Calling for all your chips pre-flop w/ 7 2 off will win you money some times, even against poket aces. In the long run (3 hands), the A's will end up ahead. I want that call against my pocket A's every time. Too many people complain that they were given a bad beat by someone who shouldn't have been in the hand. Maybe it's true. That's part of the game, though. And I've seen it in real life. When it ceases to be fun, stop playing or at least take a break from playing, but don't try to make everyone else miserable because you are. Sorry... just wanted to get that out. I'll get off my soap box now. So, on to the purpose of the blog. I thought it would be interesting to have a record of my playing, my thoughts and poker related goals. It could be interesting to see how things evolve over time. I decided to start new today. Old experiences are in the past. So...Bombed out of a PSO free roll. Didn't quite make it an hour. I need to be more patient. When I don't get cards I still try to force things to happen. Not a good way to start my first full month in the league. Oh well. I'll probably try one more PSO game tonight. I'd like to at least break even for the first day of the month! I have about $35 of "fun money" (money budgeted for me to blow on whatever I want) for the month, so I hope to make it to the Poker Room for a tourney or maybe a cash game. The local poker room is about an hour away. They have a big tourney later this month that I would love to play in, but $1500 is way to steep for me now. There will be another. Some day. So I guess my main goal in poker is to make it a supplemental income. I play with my fun money, "reimburse" it and still have some money left to put on debt. (Stupid student loans.) And maybe have some money to my rc airplane collection. Here's hoping. Sorry the first post is boring. They will get better. I hope. Should have stopped at 1 tourney. Oh well.

Well, the wife will be up late doing her homework, so I'll get to play in a few tourneys. I'm 1984 out of 2354 after my 2 tourneys yesterday. Maybe I shouldn't have played. Well, I'm registered for the next one to start in 5 minutes. Here's hoping. On a side note, I have my trip to the poker room planed. I'll be heading down there on Sunday afternoon. I'll start with a limit cash game (good ole' no fold'em hold'em), and if I have anything left and I'm still having fun, then it's an evening tourney. Here's hoping. I doubled up in my first hand, so far so good.

Comment

Placed 35 in the late tourney. First cash! Whoo-hoo. Made a bad call, though, to get knocked out. I was right, he missed the flop, but his pocket jacks beat my pocket 3's. Bad call for me. Number 801 overall. Highest I've ever been. Got into a car freeroll. It didn't even fill up! Crazy! Got knocked out early. No big deal. Found the small print, though. Only 1 entry per day per person. Well, 10pm after school tourney. We'll see if it adds to my score or takes away....takes away. Didn't play tight enough. Bad playing=bad results. Can't really complain.

Comment

Well, alot of people would say it was a bad beat. It was really just poor playing on my part. I was down to about 10 big blinds. Got pocket A's in the small blind. Only 1 caller before me. I decide to just call. The big blind checks. That's my first mistake. Should have raised, at least 1-2 x's the big blind. Flop comes out rainbow, no obvious straights. Perfect. I check. Big blind bets about 500. Other player folds, I call (leaving me with about 1000). Second mistake. I should have pushed there also. King on the turn, and big blind goes all in. I call to see he has 2 pair, 4's and K's. I'm out before the cash. Bad beat? NO! Poor playing on my part. Any push or even a small raise preflop and the big blind folds, I win and possibly double up. That's poker!

Comment

Well, I spent some time at #1, but didnt even cash. To much going on around me here at home. I got distracted and suffered. Oh well. Family time was really more important anyway. Got in to 100's in a car freeroll, too. Time and concentration. And tomorrow's my day at a live game (cash and maybe tourney). Here's hoping.

Comment

Went and played some 1-2 limit hold 'em. Took $30. Lost $30. Lost most of my chips due to being on tilt. I would love to say it was on bad beats, but it wasn't. Even my last hand (full house beaten by quads) Wasn't even a "cooler." It was just throwing in the towel. (flop was KKK) What put me on tilt? 3 or 4 hands of having straight and flush draws on the flop (once with an over card, once with a middle pair, and one was an inside straight flush draw) and never hitting any of them! Every time I would have won with a straight, or a higher flush than the other person would have made. Well, there were some highlights. Calling someone down w/ A/K high (and winning). Ending up all in with a pair of 9's and outlasting an open ended straight draw. Ending up with more than $50 in chips in front of me (several times). It was fun. But in the end, maybe not worth it. I did learn, though. As always, I am my own worst enemy. My wife's doing her homework, so I might try to catch the late tourney tonight. Good luck all, and thanks for reading.

Comment

Second cash. 140th. Had about 1.5 big blinds. Went all in preflop with A/K of diamonds. 2 callers. Had a lot of hope with 2 pair, A's and K's, but lost to someone with pocket K's. I thought I had it. I was already planning the rest of the tourney (pot was over 10 big blinds). Oh well. Good play (me), good call(him). Maybe next time.

Comment

I like playing against people who are trying to learn and play well. Not just all in all in all in. But, the attitude and name calling is ridiculous. Yes, there is money involved, and most of the time I do take it seriously, but I never find it necessary to insult people. Maybe I was just raised differently. When I get so mad it ruins my night, I am no longer having fun and I need to stop playing. On a playing note, my "great" luck continues. I've been knocked out of a few tourneys by my own mediocre play. Some times I just get tired and apathetic. (All in against 3 people w/ pocket 10s? Questionable decision, at best!) Played a pretty good tourney this afternoon. Had a small chip stack, raised preflop w/ j10 of hearts (best I'd seen in a while). One caller. 2 hearts on the flop. Pocket 4's first to act, and pushes me all in. I call. 15 outs. (2 over cards and any heart) That puts me at about a 60% favor, I believe . Oh well. Maybe next tourney.

Comment

Played in 2 tourneys, cashed in both! One of them I took 12th. Best finish ever. I did catch some cards when I needed to, but I think I played decent overall. Took some chances, but not to many. Had lots of fun. I can't wait to see what this does for my standings. Thanks to all the nice, fun players. Keep knocking out the rude ones!

Comment

NAPL, sounds like fun. My winnings from the PSO can buy me in! (Actually, I won 2 of the 36 people shoot outs.) It was a good weekend. Let's see what happens tonight! As of now I'm in 3 tourneys. (NAPL rookie, NAPL freeroll, and a PSO.) Here's hoping my luck will hold out.

Comment

Tried the 4 tourneys at 1 time. Bad idea. Played poor in everything tonight (pretty much). Called an all in pre-flop (2nd one in a row from him/her) with pocket 3's. He caught his K on the flop. Oh well. Played with some good players at the table. Fun people to play with. Good times, good times.

Comment

Knocked out fairly early again. Called to much hoping for a draw. Stupid mistake. After wasting my chips, I made a decent move, had 1 caller with 6 outs on the river, and hit one. Oh well. Learn and live. (Like the commercial says, Because the nights we lose are the nights we learn the most).

Comment

I seem to be getting drawn out on a lot recently. I know I've dealt out my share of bad beats, so I guess I shouldn't complain. I placed decent in a couple tourneys tonight, but all in all I lost. Final was having pocket kings vs a9 spades. They flopped a flush. Turn paired the board. River blank. Oh well. What do you do at 6 big blinds with pocket k's. Not really even a decision. Time to persevere. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Well, not much to report. I cashed in a NAPL rookie tourney. Would have done better if I didn't have to go to walmart for lice treatment for my daughter. Oh well. Played a $.25 SNG. Two pair with top pair, called all in by 2 lower pairs, and they caught the full house on the river. Seems to be my luck. Keep grinding it out. I have a ticket for another rookie division NAPL, plus I might try the PSO again. It's been awhile since I played in one of those. The NAPL SNG's have been great for when I want to play, but maybe not a whole 4 hour tourney (not that I last that long, but the potential is there). Good luck and keep having fun!

Comment

I placed 3rd in a PSO game. Best ever. Might have been first, except it was after 2 am and I had to be up for a possible 12 hour work day at 6 am. I was the chip leader (not by much), and pretty much just started calling everything to get knocked out or win. I hated doing that, but it was better than just sitting out. I guess. I started my account with $ 0.00 this week, and I'm now up to $2.31. Not bad w/o a deposit. (Placed in a rookie league tourney and a 3rd in a $.25 SNG. Fun, fun. My path to millions at a live tourney has started and is rolling. LOL I have learned some, and am starting to protect my chips better. Turns out poker isn't always about winning hands, it's also about not losing a lot on stupid calls. And I'm not talking about the desperation all in with 1.5 big blinds with 6/7 of hearts. When I'm on my game, I'm folding a lot. Sometimes you have to take chances, but it's risk management. On a side note, I have to laugh when someone is yelling at everyone for being donkeys, and then they call 3 all ins pre flop for over 3/4 of their chips with a/8 off. I understand pot odds, but you have to figure you're dominated. Thanks for the entertainment. Good luck at the tables, except against me. I wish you all could place Second. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.