PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it always seem like its only me.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does it always seem like its only me.....

.....this happens to time after time?

Hands like this really just make me want to give up.....

We're going to lose this 18% of the time, but there is a HUGE bet problem on our part in the hand. A standard raise sizing here is to 2.5x-3x the previous bet. This bet is not over 1/3 of our stack, so we're not pot-committed, so a shove here is way out of line by us. We should be re-raising to about 600... not overbet shoving.

John (JWK24)
    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

If I standard raise I get 5 callers on this table , may as well just throw the hand away preflop instead , half the table were calling any raises pre.
      I just dont understand the thinking when he looks at his hand and sees 57o and risks most of his stack for a 12c bounty.

Comment

they look at the overbet shove and say 'this guy's a maniac' and then play any 2 cards at them.

John (JWK24)
        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

the best way to play this is to raise to 600 and call a shove preflop.

Or, if we see a flop, shove any flop without a pair and without an ace.

John (JWK24)
          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

we should be looking to play the best poker we can so job is right in this regards but i also understand in those formats they are not thinking about what you have and they are not thinking about playing styles they are calling down with any two cards in place still in the long run your way out we all suck out at times and all act like fish at times but were learning and should be trying to play the best poker we can
            Bracelet Winner

Comment

It's not only you. Sometimes it feels like PS or the gods are conspiring against you when stuff like this happens.

Where's MY Set?

Or this.

Give me a break!

What is more likely? That I'm having a bad month or that someone is out to get me? :p

Comment

Originally posted by HennieP View Post
                It's not only you. Sometimes it feels like PS or the gods are conspiring against you when stuff like this happens. Where's MY Set? Or this. Give me a break! What is more likely? That I'm having a bad month or that someone is out to get me? :p
                @HennieP The first hand is badly misbet on the flop. A pot-bet is way out of line. A more standard bet is 1/2 to 2/3. A pot-sized bet is only going to get action from a better hand. The second is a problem too. AJ is NOT a shove here on this stack size and table postion, it's a fold. We're on a resteal stack size, not an open-shove stack size.. and AJ is too weak to play from this position to start with. We need AQs+/AK+. With plays like this, the reason you're having a bad month is due to our own misplays.. not something else. John (JWK24)
                Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by JWK24 View Post
                  @HennieP The first hand is badly misbet on the flop. A pot-bet is way out of line. A more standard bet is 1/2 to 2/3. A pot-sized bet is only going to get action from a better hand. The second is a problem too. AJ is NOT a shove here on this stack size and table postion, it's a fold. We're on a resteal stack size, not an open-shove stack size.. and AJ is too weak to play from this position to start with. We need AQs+/AK+. With plays like this, the reason you're having a bad month is due to our own misplays.. not something else. John (JWK24)
                  @JWK24 Thanks for the feedback John. You are quite right, the open-shove with AJ was silly. In my defense I'll just say this was right after the KK fiasco! Guess I'm not quite immune to tilt yet. As for the KK hand, you're also right. Not sure why I made the pot size bet as the board was pretty harmless for a KK hand. One question though, do I ever fold here? I have to be honest the last thing I actually expected when the cards were revealed was both QQ and 44. What's troubling is that I keep banging my head against sets that I never see coming and it's rather frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by HennieP View Post
                    One question though, do I ever fold here?
                    With my stack, if I make it 300 on the flop and the opp jams... KK is going into the muck unless I have a note that the opp is a total maniac.

John (JWK24)
                    Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

This. This is why I make pot size bets. Because **deleted inappropriate language JWK24**on the planet and getting lucky on the river. Please tell me again why smaller bets are better when all it gets you is being called all the way to the river and sucked out on. Next time I'll stick to what Dan Harrington says and rather over-bet my good hands when there's a flush or a straight possibility.

https://www.boomplayer.com/24317324_84DAB7F2DE
                      Last edited by JWK24; Wed Jun 21, 2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

@HennieP KQ hand.. here are the problems with the way it was played. 1) raise preflop. Our hand is well ahead of a limper's range, so we should be raising here. Checking is a great example of FPS (fancy play syndrome) which is something we need to avoid, as it's only going to trap US. 2) too small of a bet on the flop. We're up against 2 opps, so we need to bet in the 2/3 pot range or we potentially give the opp the correct odds to call 3) one pair is NOT a three street of value hand. It's just not strong enough. Due to this, we need to check one of the streets and it needs to be the turn or river (preferably river). 4) the river bet makes no sense. Anytime that 1/3 of our remaining chips go into the pot, we're pot-committed.. so we have 2 options.. shove or fold (here it's shove or check since we're first to act). Check the river and fold to a shove as we do not have a strong enough hand for a pot where there is 3 streets of betting. John (JWK24)
                        Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

@JWK24 Thanks John, I'll try to keep all that in mind. I have to be honest though I'm getting pretty frustrated with online poker at the moment. The strategy articles and books I'm reading all have great advice for situations that seems non-existent online. Nobody seems to care about THEIR odds to hit a hand, they stick to garbage hands like flies. Nobody seems to care about opening with good hands, any two cards will do. Meanwhile I'm the one trying to juggle all the correct strategies and losing. That's fine but they seem to get rewarded for breaking the rules and I seem to only get punished for trying to follow them. 10 minutes into a tournament some guys have 40K chips when the blinds are still 15/30. How? They'd have to go all-in more than 10 times in 5 or 10 minutes and win each time. How? I rarely get to around 30K when the blinds hit 50/100. So what's the secret? Am I too tight? Are they just super lucky? And on and on it goes. I'll probably feel better tomorrow I guess. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Let those luckboxes be that way.. they will NOT be winning players and will give them away as fast as they got them. Stop worrying about how many chips someone else has and make the best plays we can for a situation.

It's the same live as online. You'll find those players in everything.. I sure did in a $2620 WSOP tourney last week. Maniacs all over the place.

John (JWK24)
                            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

what was the buy in? I am guessing it's pretty small if you only had a twelve cent bounty. In those really small buy in tourneys or freerolls you have to keep in mind that there are probably a lot of beginning players just clicking buttons or people who are just messing around and having a laugh shoving all sorts of hands and having fun.

Against that type of a field I think over betting for value is a very valid line. Against better players over betting is usually done to purposely polarize your range and you should be doing it both for value and as a bluff but if this is a really soft field I would just do it for value, as bluffs don't work very well against these players and they aren't paying attention to know you have a monster anyway.

A tight aggressive style should crush these micro buy ins but that's not to say your not going to go on downswings. Over a large sample size you should be showing a pretty nice profit. If you tilt when you lose a hand like that and start playing bad you're just throwing away the profit you should make so just resign yourself to knowing that the 20% hand or what ever they have is going to get there sometimes and try not to let it bother you.
                              Tournament of Champions Winner 2014

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X