PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank you

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you

love it when this happens to me on the BB
    Double Bracelet Winner

Why the shove post-flop with over 30 big blinds? Any pair Q's or better has you beat plus your opponent may be holding a flush draw or the gutshot draw (more unlikely but happened in this case) You hit top pair on the flop, but I don't think that justified the shove here. Raiser umbup:

Comment

you are right i suppose just tried to get him off the hand
      Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Originally posted by nowhereman09 View Post
        you are right i suppose just tried to get him off the hand
        Yep, I understand that and if I was really short-stacked (10 BB's or less) I would probably do the same, but not with 30 bigs as a better spot can easily come along within the next orbit or two. Risking the bulk of your stack here to win so few chips doesn't seem worth it in this spot. Raiser umbup:

Comment

Hi nowhereman09!

I agree with Raiser. The majority of the time here, I'm outkicked, so I'm flatting or folding the flop. It's not worth the risk.

John (JWK24)
          Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Have to disagree with you here JWK and Raiser.

His over raise is an online tell that I see a lot at micro stakes. Normally I'd say fold and wait for a better spot but I'm happy with your shove in this case.

Many players over raise with a marginal hand > gutshot/ bottom pair/ middle pair/ over cards. They are NOT over raising with top pair or stronger. We can deduce we are ahead here so I'm quite happy getting my chips in. They will fold the majority of the time but on this occasion they called needing to catch up. I don't think you done much wrong.

If you haven't already, chase this player up and stick a note on him. It will pay you long term calling in this spot. The result went his way so he's very likely to do the same mistake over and over again.
            Bracelet Winner

Comment

oval arent you influenced by the cards you saw

300 pot you got top pair Js with a 4 as a kicker your opponent raises to 600 from the small blind after just calling/limping preflop.

dont think theres lots of reasons to throw chips in this pot even with top pair

edit: i see what you meant now reading it for the 3rd time nevertheless im staying with my statement
              Last edited by Prohorse3; Mon Jun 17, 2013, 08:23 PM.
              don't beg for things do it yourself or else you won't get anything

Comment

I'm saying it's a readable tell that you can use to your advantage in micro stakes. Royalraise and JWK gave the correct answer but sometimes we have other information that can change our game.

Now the OP might not have made the same play because it was a tell but I'm saying it was the correct play. We are ahead 90% of the time in this spot.

This is a long term +EV play in this specific spot.
                Bracelet Winner

Comment

Going with J4 in that spot is a high variance play.

The majority of Jx has us beat including J3. I know I am a nit but I am just never getting it in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ovalman View Post
                    Have to disagree with you here JWK and Raiser.

His over raise is an online tell that I see a lot at micro stakes. Normally I'd say fold and wait for a better spot but I'm happy with your shove in this case.

Many players over raise with a marginal hand > gutshot/ bottom pair/ middle pair/ over cards. They are NOT over raising with top pair or stronger. We can deduce we are ahead here so I'm quite happy getting my chips in. They will fold the majority of the time but on this occasion they called needing to catch up. I don't think you done much wrong.

If you haven't already, chase this player up and stick a note on him. It will pay you long term calling in this spot. The result went his way so he's very likely to do the same mistake over and over again.
                    OP over raised with top pair Villian just overbet
                    7 Time Bracelet Winner

Comment

Which screams "DON'T CALL ME"!

Yes, valid point and another tell but the re-raise was all in so villain can't call in this spot unless he has the goods. I think it's a far better play for hero to be making than villain to be calling

Sort of makes me want to make this play also on certain occasions... and I will, both bluffing and when I have the goods to balance the range.
                      Bracelet Winner

Comment

I should really had said that in previous hands this player did an identical move when i had 2 pair and he had nothing which i won .
                        Also that player was the next player to go out . i finished 2nd
                        Last edited by nowhereman09; Tue Jun 18, 2013, 06:13 PM.
                        Double Bracelet Winner

Comment

Working...
                        X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.