PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not much of a brag, but trying to find my faults and keeping from going on tilt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much of a brag, but trying to find my faults and keeping from going on tilt

Hi guys,

Played some live game poker around 10 years ago for a couple years.. nothing too serious 1/2 NL but now have gotten back into playing online. I don't really care for hold'em, prefer PLO, PLO8. I'm probably down about $300 in a month including a $230 1st place cash last weekend in the $7.70 Omania tourney. I'm pretty sure that I'm playing too long of sessions and losing when I get tired. Any suggestions on setting a time limit for a session? I'm a teacher, so Mon-Fri I'm at work 8-5. I really love poker, but I need to stop making these same mistakes over and over again. If I play cash games, I usually play no bigger than .05/10.

Can I be that lucky to win a PLO8 tournament with 180 players?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony from New Zealand

At first you need to figure out why you're playing that long and still keep playing when you're tired. If you find that out, you can probably set a time before you start grinding cahgames and taking break in the session. I think this is the best solution.

If not, maybe try it with a timer (kitchen timer or clock timer on your phone), set the time for 1 hour and take a 20min break.

but honestly, I think you need to find out why you decide to keep playing that long.

About the PLO8...I dont know

Comment

Winning an Omania tournament is definitely good. I don't think you can be just lucky to win one of those, but tournament play has high variance so even if you are good it can take a while to make a profit.

Try to break your sessions up a bit with breaks or play a bit less often. Before you start a game up make sure you are in the right mood to concentrate otherwise do something else and if you are losing money at the PLO10 cash try playing more of the PLO5 or even PLO2

Comment

Hi teach

I think you know all the answers as they are hinted at in your post

1 yes of course anyone can luckily bink 1 tournament especially high variance one (sorry not saying you did )

2 dont play when tired/ill/drunk etc have a rest that way the next night you give yourself a better chance or even wait till the weekend

3 tilt is the devil work out what kind of tilt you have and then look for signs its about to hit and then try to combat it..I know its very difficult however bt in cash games you can sit out and go for a 10 minute walk or example to clear your mind

I dont play omaha so i very well could be wrong on #1

On a brighter note its good that you play low until you fix your leaks as the game will only get harder as you move up and maybe yoru recent results indicte that your improving so then imagine what you could do when not tired or on tilt

Imagine it this way your working hard all week then show up tired and or on tilt and then chances are you will lose

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will definitely think about everything that has been said. When you say PLO10 do you mean 10 cent big blind or ten dollars?

Comment

travelnteach257

Yes, 10PLO is a 10 cent bb.

John (JWK24)
            Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
            Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

travelnteach257

Anthony,

One thing that I've started doing this year is forcing myself to take breaks, which I got from reading Tommy Angelo's book, Elements of Poker. I won't play for more than 90 minutes at a time and will only go past an hour if the table is really fishy and I'm not starting to lose chips. Doing this has considerably helped my cash results (consistently beating 4nl, 10nl, 20nl so far). I understand what you're going thru though. I had the same problems in the past.... I'd build my stack up, then when I would get tired, I'd give a stack or two back. Forcing myself to take a 15 minute break and get away from the computer has helped me and hopefully it will help you too.

For tournaments, anyone can get lucky every once in a while... the key is to consistently beat the game over a sizeable quantity of games. When I do a set of games (normally sng's), I run them in blocks of 1k games. That way I can have a sizeable quantity and have proven to beat the game. You will have your ups and downs within the block of 1k games though, for certain, but this many of them will give a chance for variance to hit in both directions (both good and bad).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables!

John (JWK24)
              Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Online Poker League
              Can you win the leaderboard?

Comment

I agree with the breaks that JWK24 suggests. I read a research paper written by a Masters Student who analysed a huge data set of poker cash play and found that results started to turn negative after about an hour. I guess the ideal length of time will vary from person to person, but it is clear there is a limit of time you can play before your game slips. There was not much info on the length of the break but I guess it has to be long enough to completely reset.

Personally, I have always had trouble with the short 5 min tournament breaks.

Comment

Working...
                X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.