PokerStars homepage
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticking with it through a bad run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking with it through a bad run

In this section I often see players describe their frustration when nothing they do seems to work at the poker tables. Stories of constantly getting it all-in with the best hand and being outdrawn, see bankrolls withering down to nothing from bad luck sometimes compounded by -EV adjustments and tilt.

The universal advice is stick with it, make sure you continue to play well and eventually it will pay off.

As a way of encouragement to those that suffer these periods of bad runs I thought I'd share my recent experiences.

I play PLO2 mostly on the Zoom tables. At the start I seemed to do well and over the first ~27,000 hands, I had a win rate of around 14 BB/100. There were a few short periods where I lost some money, but nothing that was going to change my view that I was doing OK at this level.

Then in late March this year, I started to hit a few bad beats. These were typically all-ins with equities between 60:40 and 85:15 in my favour. I'm not saying I lost every one of them but I was losing more than I should and my bankroll was starting to fall. I confess I was getting really frustrated and I couldn't seem to break out of the bad run. This went on for over 6 weeks and 8900 hands, during which my bankroll fell by over 12 buy-ins. I suspect that towards the end I was adjusting my play in a way that was not always positive, avoiding all-in shoves even though I knew I was ahead. At times, I wondered whether I should continue to play.

But, like the sun coming over the horizon, it suddenly corrected itself. I played a long session with no bad beats and won 5 buy-ins back. From the low point it only took 4600 hands to make back all I lost during the bad run, at a win rate of 26 BB/100 and we are moving forward positively again.

I had never expected to go through such a long losing period of ~9000 hands, especially at micro stakes, but it did happen and it did come good in the end.

I hope this helps with anyone else going through a similar bad run. As long as you can convince yourself that your game remains solid: do this by reviewing your play, then your results will reflect that eventually.
Working...
X

X Cookies Information

We have placed cookies on your computer to improve your experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.