I know what you're thinking, those of you who know me anyway... you're thinking "Seriously, Dave is going to blog about a bad beat?"   This would be a shock coming from me for sure.  Many of you know I don't put any energy into bad beats, I believe it's a waste of good focus, beyond evaluating your own play.  Bad beats are a part of the game, and come part and parcel with all the good value you get when the huge underdogs don't get there.  I don't even read the bad beat forum.  So what the heck is this blog about?  Bare with me...

I was playing in a live tournament league at the local casino this week... after busting out it was only 9pm, and there was an open seat in the $1-$3 NL cash game, so I took it buying in for the max of $300.  It was approaching 3 hours later and I was getting tired.  I was up about $125 and when the BB came around to me I decided to play 1 more orbit.  So a couple hands later I'm on the button, there are several limpers in front of me, and I look down at pocket 2's.  Ok, great spot to set mine, so I limp in as well.  We take the flop 7 handed, it comes TT7, and the field checks to me.  There's no way I'm taking a stab into 6 opponents, many of whom love to slowplay strong hands.  Check.  Ding!  A 2 peels off on the turn. It checks around to a goofy LAG who tosses 1 $5 chip in.  A fishy player who is on a short stack of around $85 calls, and it's on me.  A raise here is mandatory, I can get value from hands like A7 or 88, and if someone was slowplaying trip T's, I want to open up the betting and give them a chance to put some big money in.  I raise to $25, and the rest of the field folds around quickly to the goofy LAG.  He chuckles and folds.  Now the short stacked fishy guy moves all in for his last $80.  Easy call... if he's full there's not much I can do about it... he'll put his short stack in with trip tens any kicker, I'm certain.  And I'm calling $55 into a pot that is now $135, so I'm a favorite to have the best hand with my bottom full and have a big overlay to boot.  I announce call and put one of my stacks in to cover his bet.  

"I have a full house" he says, turning over 77.  "Then you win, nh" I reply.

"Oh... sorry man.  Not any more"

The dealer had produced the case 2 on the river, giving me a 1 out quads. 

The apology was sincere... not because I had laid one on the guy, lord knows I've been on the wrong end of those a great many times myself.  But I did feel bad because I said "you win" before the river card made that a reality.  I actually consider that sort of thing to be in really poor taste, and never do it.  To be fair, if I held trip tens instead I never would have said it, since I'd have had 7 outs on the river.  In my mind, the underfull to a larger full house was a 100% loser, and the words just came out.  The reality though is that it's not a 100% loser, it's a 97.73% loser, and 1 time in 44 the other 2.27% happens.  

To his credit, he said nh, announced he was done for the night and left without blowing a gasket or whining like a baby.  Maybe he went home and threw his mouse against the wall.  But I got the feeling he handled it better than that.  

This hand was a genuine bad beat for my opponent, but the reality is he got exactly what he wanted, a chance to double up as a massive favorite.  It seemed he understood that even massive favorites don't win 100% of the time.  Maybe he wasn't as fishy as it first appeared after all.  

And from my perspective, I think the hand was pretty standard across the board.  The river and result is what it is, given his range on the turn I'm not unhappy with my play at any point.  It was nice though to see someone else's Sklanksy bucks grow for once while the real chips went into my stack.
:wink: