- Get some Sleep – A lot of tournaments can start late in the day depending on where you live and they last pretty long especially for those who run very deep in the tournament. Mental alertness is vital so make sure that you are fully rested before the start of a tournament. Don't make the mistake of starting a tournament when you are already tired to begin with.
- Play the Satellites – The cheapest tournament is $109 to enter while the most expensive buy-in of the WCOOP is a mere $51,000. Don't have 51K lying around? Don't worry, Mikhail recommends all players to play the satellites into the events and reminds us that 2012 WCOOP champion 'maratik' won his seat in the Main Event via a 40 FPP satty and eventually went on to win over $1,000,000. His chat "I wont million" became an infamous phrase in the world of online poker.
- Learn To Play – We all know that No Limit Hold'em is by far the most popular format of poker but Mikhail suggests learning how to play other games such as Omaha Hi/Low, Seven Card Stud, Razz or Badugi. The advantages of playing these games is that you will be competing against smaller fields which will give you a better chance of winning an event, becoming a World champion and getting your hands on a bracelet.
- Have a Contingency Plan – Sometimes the unforeseen happens such as a power outage in your home or a failure of your internet connection when you are playing. Such things can be a real nuisance at the best of times but when it happens during what could be the biggest tournament of your life then it a full-scale disaster! Make sure you have a secondary mobile device on standby and that you have the latest version of the PokerStars Mobile App installed on it in case of emergencies. The App is available by searching for 'PokerStars' in the Google App PlayStore.
- Take it Easy – Poker can be cruel at times and even if you do everything right you can't be sure to win. Sometimes our tournaments end early because of a bad beat or perhaps we were coaxed into a trap by a tricky player. It's easy in these situations to lose control of our emotions however Mikhail suggests that we take it easy and don't tilt, there's always another tournament!
Every player has the potential to become a World Champion especially if they are prepared to put the work into learning and improving their poker game. For more winning poker strategy tips, create your FREE PokerStars account now and join our school. If you're already a school member, why not make a deposit and try out some sattellites into WCOOP events.
Make sure to include the "PokerSchool1000" marketing code when creating your new account to avail of our '1000 FPP Poker Bonus'. Please note that the bonus code can only be entered via registration on the desktop client.