PokerStars launches the most sensational new twist to poker yet:
. Take on extra powers and use them to your advantage, giving your hand the edge. Change or destroy chosen cards, peek at the next cards in the deck, or use powers to defend against attacks.
Evolution of Poker
Poker has evolved a lot over the years, from live cash games to tournaments to online poker.
• Live Poker – Limit Hold'em Cash Games
• Live Poker – No Limit Hold'em Cash Games
• Live Poker – No Limit Hold'em Tournaments
• Online Poker – Cash Games
• Online Poker – Tournaments
• Online Poker – Sit & Go's
• Mixed Games
• Time Tournaments
• Zoom Poker
• Spin & Go
• Power Up is the next step within this evolution.
Power Up Basic Rules
The game is No Limit Texas Hold'em, similar to a standard Sit & Go tournament. However, in addition to your hole cards you'll also be dealt powers. Powers can help improve your hand, or block your opponents from using certain powers against you.
9 Current Powers
• Clone – Receive a copy of the last power played this hand excluding Clone.
• Disintegrate – Destroy a board card dealt this betting round.
• EMP – No further powers can be played during this betting round.
• Engineer – Choose the deck's next card from three revealed options then discard the rest.
• Intel – Peek at the deck's top card for the rest of the hand.
• Reload – Redraw one or both of your hole cards.
• Scanner – Peek at the next two deck cards; you may choose to discard them.
• Upgrade – Draw a third hole card then discard one.
X-Ray – Opponents without a revealed hole card must reveal one at random.
To use a power costs energy, the yellow number next to your avatar. The energy cost for each power is shown in yellow on the power itself. Energy replenishes a little after each hand until it reaches the maximum. When you have run out of energy, powers will be greyed out and unusable.
When a player is all-in any existing board cards, plus their hole cards, are 'locked' meaning powers cannot be used on them.
Strategy & Power Up Game Theory
Poker is a game of imperfect information and this rule holds true with Power Up, you'll never have the ability to reveal both your opponent's hole cards. The balance of having the option of three powers and equal energy is where the new element of meta-game comes in to play.
Should you use your powers and energy right away?, Or is it better to wait for your opponent to use theirs, and attack them once their energy is depleted? These are some of the questions we will be asking over the coming months.
PokerStars will be looking at adding new powers in future, making this a game with endless possibilities.
This week PokerStars School will be hosting Twitch Sessions
playing Power Up, plus we will be exploring some strategies to improve your Power Up game.